View Full Version : how was this done?

Andrew Cleary
April 11th, 2005, 09:08 AM
http://movies.collegehumor.com/media/movies/b-ball-e-mail.mov

Lloyd Coleman
April 11th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I'm not clear on what you have a question about. How did they make those great shots? What wide angle lens did they use? How did they edit it together? What is the name of the dog at the end?

Let us know and maybe we can be more helpful.

Steven Gotz
April 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
The answer to the question might be: They cut out all of the shots that did not go in.

Greg Harris
April 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I know some of those guys, but I don't know how they did that. Im sure the ball was green screend some how

Steven Gotz
April 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I doubt it. I figure that they just only show us 1 out of every 100 shots or so.

Jim Lafferty
April 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Practice.

And lots of burned tape.

Andrew Cleary
April 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM
i dont see how any of those shots are possible. i was thinking it was like a powerade commerical. like michael vick throwing a football 300 yards or lebron james sinking 6 shots from 100 feet.

Glenn Chan
April 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM
This has been cross-posted in the main open forum.

You should leave your thread in just one forum because otherwise things get confusing and out of hand.

EDIT: A moderator merged the threads. This was formerly cross-posted.

Bennis Hahn
April 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
think of how many shots they had to cut out...

Jimmy McKenzie
April 11th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Each of the shots are very do-able. You just gotta be good...

Just like 9 ball ... 5 banks is easy when you repeat repeat repeat

And since mini dv tape is only a couples o' bucks per, let it roll.

Jaime Valles
April 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM
How is this possible?! Even 1 out of 100 shots seems unlikely. There HAS to be some digital trickery at work here... Right?

Unbelievable.

John Sandel
April 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Keyword: "unlikely," not impossible.

"HAS to" ...? Nope. Cf: law of averages, crossed with lots of time, practice and talent.

Note that this is shot indoors; these guys had all the time they needed to get these clips.

Jimmy McKenzie
April 11th, 2005, 06:41 PM
See my reply in the other forum.

Please do not multi/cross-post.

Boyd Ostroff
April 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Moderator note: all three threads have been merged into a single one in the Open DV forum. As others have pointed out, do not cross post at DVinfo. Thanks.

Glenn Chan
April 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
That hoop doesn't look regulation size to me. It would make a huge difference if it wasn't.

You probably could use digital trickery, but I think luck (combined with talent) is cheaper.

Andrew Cleary
April 12th, 2005, 12:15 PM
i still think it is fake. i dont know how they did it so well, but it cannot be real.

Shane Ross
April 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I highly doubt that any digital trickery was done. Each and every shot looks doable...just very difficult. I will wager with what was mentioned before...you are seeing the 1 successful shot out of 100 attempts.

And practice practice practice.

John Sandel
April 12th, 2005, 09:55 PM
... so they were playing Carnegie Hall?

Marco Wagner
May 4th, 2005, 04:26 PM
They don't look fake. Some friends of mine did this same type of scene a couple years ago. It's not hard to sink a ball from half court if you've made dozens and dozens of shots. In our short we did just that, every shot was a sinker from half court. This is easier if you are halfway decent at aiming. Their ball MAY be a little smaller too. In some shots you'll notice shadows that coincide with the ball itself. Try not to think of this being shot in 20 minutes, think all day, or over several days.

Matthew Nayman
May 4th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I think they all can control the ball with thier minds... no?

Jesse Bekas
May 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I think they all can control the ball with thier minds... no?

That's how I shoot a basketball.

How do you guys do it? :)

Mikey Williams
May 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
it's the RDS guys, in canada, they are wikid, and when it's ur job to skate all the time, of course ur gonna take a abreak and throw some balls around, think of spending almsot 300 days a year in that place, how many days u'll have to throw a basket ball around

Thinh Le
May 8th, 2005, 11:07 PM
if you look at the footage closely, the way the ball moves through the air is not normal--look at it when it leaves the hand and midway to the hoop (the motion changes). to me... it looks like some camera matching along with a particle system and some rendering time.

i've done something similar in 3dmax7 a while ago where i shot footages of a friend hitting a baseball over a 20-story building only he was hitting air in the actual footage. I camera-matched it with a digital baseball, a particle system called "spray", and a lot of tweaking time--i.e. gravity, rendering, etc.

Jeffrey Brown
May 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I camera-matched it with a digital baseball, a particle system called "spray", and a lot of tweaking time--i.e. gravity, rendering, etc.

why in the world would you use a particle system for 1 object, nevermind the spray system?

Thinh Le
May 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM
sorry if i misstated what i meant about the particle system... i was using it to create snow so i wasn't using it for the baseball. i left out a little detail... sorry if it confused anyone.

Bernard Diaz
May 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM
All of those shots could have been done by trial and error, but the ball didn't seem realistic at all on a few of those shots.

Brooks Bennett
May 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have a buddy who used to run Mad Circle Skateboards (if you know skating you know who he is so I am not a name-dropper) but he said they used to spend hours shooting basketballs in the DC skatepark.

I would bet they just spent a lot of time making the shots. Seems easier to hit the lucky shot than to do a ton of special effects on a budget.