View Full Version : WTF?!?!component out to composit in????

Wayne Maxwell
April 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know of a quick, fairly inexpensive way to go from the component out on an XL1S to a composite "in" on a Plasma TV set or "multi feed device". The situation (I have not looked at it in person so I dont have make/model) is this. We want to provide a live feed from the camera to a unit (unk what this is yet) that accepts only composit video inputs. This unit feeds about 5 plasma tv's in a restaurant. We would like to feed the activity at the head wedding table to all the other tv's in the restaurant.

I looked into renting a camera that has componet outs and they want 300.00 a day rental. No problem with that except they want a 10,000 deposit!!!

Any suggestions??

Zig

Boyd Ostroff
April 13th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Do you have that backwards perhaps? I don't think the XL-1s has "component out" does it?

I use a Sony DVD recorder with firewire input to feed component output to a widescreen LCD monitor and it works very well. This might be a practical way to get high quality component output from the camera to your TV's (assuming this is actually what you're looking for). There are also media converters that do the same thing, but they cost as much as DVD recorders.

Wayne Maxwell
April 13th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Yea your right. I always transpose those. I mean composit (RCA) out to component (YPbPr) in.

Sorry bout that

Wayne Maxwell
April 13th, 2005, 10:03 PM
oh and good suggestion. I never thought about the firewire output. What model Sony DVD Recorder do you use?

Mike Cavanaugh
April 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM
you can get a significantly better picture if you use your s-video out to the s-video in on the monitor. Most TVs (especially the big ones) these days have s-video jacks.

Boyd Ostroff
April 14th, 2005, 06:21 AM
True, composite is not so great. But if possible you should try to send firewire (IEEE-1394) out and transcode that to component. That should give the highest quality.

David Stoneburner
April 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM
On Avid's MOJO box they use a cable that takes the composite signal and the s-video signal into component. I'm not sure how readily available or easy it would be to find one. I would agree that the s-video would most likely be the easiet.

Wayne Maxwell
April 14th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks all for the help.

I had considered the S-Video route but the client told me that the device that splits the incoming signal from the satelite or cable and feeds it out to the five plasma tv's only accepts component inputs. I have not yet seen this device yet.

If it in fact does have S-video in that would, agreed, be the easiest way.

Thanks again

Jack Smith
April 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if the client has transposed words aswell, and that their splitter( distribution amp) is COMPOSITE not component.you may may want to check that out first.