View Full Version : New member here with important question...

Aaron Sanders
April 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I have to admit that the board is a little overwhelming and I am a novice. I also admit to not searching the forum for an answer or suggestion to this question because I'm in a hurry (and am sorry if anyone objects):

I am looking to buy a great camera and can spend up to $10,000. The key for me though is the ability to use the camera like a still shot camera (meaning I can take frames of the video captured and turn them into pictures).

I've always found that I get better pictures when using video, because you can really get the looks you want..but I need something that is great quality.

Obviously, I would like something that does the actual video side of things very well as well.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Aaron

Nick Jushchyshyn
April 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
A Canon 20D digital SLR, with a set of fantastic lenses and a 580EX Speed flash will produce far superior still images than any video camera, and the whole rig would cost less than half your stated budget.

Add an XL1 with EF lens adapter (which I *think* is compatable with the 20D lenses) and you're good to go with photos and video within your budget. An XL2 would be even better for the video requirement, but might push the budget up a bit.

Boyd Ostroff
April 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard Aaron. Is $10,000 for the camera alone or do you need a good tripod, wide/telephoto lenses, software. computer. etc?

All DV cameras shoot at 720x480 resolution which isn't all that great for still photos. What's more, unless they shoot progressive scan you get interlace artifacts in the image. Furthermore, interlaced cameras blend the scan lines to prevent small details from flickering on and off and that cuts the vertical resolution down by another 25% or so. So if you want a DV camera then you probably should choose one with true progressive scan (captures the full 720x480 30 times per second) and that would limit you to the DVX-100a or XL-2.

But probably one of the new HDV cameras would be a better choice since there are more pixels to start with. The Sony's don't shoot progressive. There's the JVC single chip that shoots 1280x720 progressive, and that's about it unless you want to spend a lot more. BUT new cameras from Panasonic and JVC are expected to arrive next week at NAB, so you should check those out.

Now beyond that, there really isn't any substitute for "due diligence" on your part, especially if you plan to spend $10,000. You need to take the time to search and read as much as possible. Otherwise you'll fiind yourself unhappy with the results and $10,000 poorer...

Aaron Sanders
April 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM
BUT new cameras from Panasonic and JVC are expected to arrive next week at NAB
I'm assuming you are speaking about the AG-HVX200, which I have been hearing about.

I think I may wait for that one, but am open to other options if feasible because I'm a bit in a hurry.

And just to reiterate to other posters, I'm not looking for a camera with a high res still feature...looking to just pull frames out of the video.

So..I'm assuming that 720x480 with progressive scan is what I'm looking at and that the ones you mentioned are possibilities.

Jimmy McKenzie
April 14th, 2005, 10:22 AM
If you want to take frame grabs as a substitute for still photography and are absolutely against using the right tool for this purpose, you can proceed. The resulting images once de-interlaced in Photoshop will be perfect for web or multimedia disk display at no larger than 720 px across and displayed at 72 d.p.i

For print, these tiny pixel count gems will produce stunning little wallet sized pix at 300 dpi measuring about 1 inch by 1.25 inches.

Any larger than that for print usage and you might want to explore the idea of a nice digital slr. The ccd is monstrous compared to prosumer cams and point and shoot digital cams up to about $1k. And big megapixel numbers look great on the packaging, but one only has to look to the Japanese giants of sub 1000 dollar digital cams imaging to miniscule chips to measure their sub-standard performance.

Bon Chance!

Aaron Sanders
April 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
My girlfriend has an XL1s. Can anyone give me a quick breakdown on the specs and if that camera may do the trick for me?

Thanks

Keith Loh
April 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Go look on the pages of DVInfo.net .. the site not this forum.. there are specs. Just do a search.