View Full Version : Camera fungus.

Alfred Okocha
April 20th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Hi, this might be a weird question.. or not, I don't know..

I have some kind of fungus on my camera that I don't know how to get rid of.. It's whiteish and lokk a bit like cristals..

Has anybody any idea what it is and what to do with it or how to prevent it?

Thanks.

Dan Euritt
April 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
depending on where it's located, it could be corrosion on the surface of aluminum parts... do you live near the beach?

Alfred Okocha
April 21st, 2005, 05:49 AM
Yes, I live near the beach and it's all on the metal parts.. But it's white.. It''s not normal corrosion since I have that too on screw on the camera.

But this white thing.. what do you do about it?

Thanks.

Tim Borek
April 21st, 2005, 12:38 PM
If you use your camcorder near the ocean a lot, you can get "salt scum" from spray that gets carried through the air. When the crystalline white you're seeing may be the evaporate. Leave salt water in a glass for a few days, and you'll see what I mean. When the water evaporates, the salt is left on the glass.

Just guessing....

Alfred Okocha
April 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
It may be salt scum or something else.. Does anybody have an idea what would be a good way of cleaning it?
Somebody told me about somekind of silicon paste? Anybody?

Thanks.

Ken Plotin
April 22nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Alfred,
Try a cotton or chamois swab with plain water and dry thoroughly.
I had the problem once or twice with my old 16mm rig when shooting near the ocean. The salt crust built up on metal parts where the paint had worn off.
Worked for me.
Good luck
Ken

Alfred Okocha
April 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
Alright, thanks.

It's nothing serious then? It just keeps coming back though. I was worried it might affect things on the inside too.