View Full Version : HVX200 vs. HD100 - OFFICIAL

Dylan Couper
April 20th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Well, this is inevitable. I just figured I'd get it over with. :)

Who is buying which, and why?

Aaron Koolen
April 20th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Well I'm probably buying a DVX102AE soonish but then I think I'm in the HVX200 camp at the moment

Aaron

Imran Zaidi
April 21st, 2005, 07:37 AM
I think it's too early to make the call since there still aren't any solid reviews for either out there. But based on everything so far and my past experience with the DVX, I'm all for the HVX so far.

Rhett Allen
April 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
HVX! No question. Other than the stupid built in mic, I love what they have done and I can't wait to use P2 cards. This camera really looks fantastic and why the heck would anyone voluntarily use a more compressed HD-ish format when you could have 100Mb/s for close to the same price?

Panasonic really impressed me with this one.

Pete Wilie
April 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
Why isn't the Z1 included in the selection?

IAC, IMO, it's the HVX200, hands down. The reason? Because the HVX200 delivers true HD, not highly compressed, almost, wanna-be, HD called "HDV".

HDV is a good transition from SD to HD. But Panasonic just made it a real short transition period. :-) Of course this all assumes that Panasonic delivers on the specs that were announced. But I have no doubt that they will.

Moreover, I just learned a very important lesson from Scott Billups. The real pros RENT, not BUY. So, I'll be renting the 1st HVX200 that hits the Houston area!

Dylan Couper
April 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM
Why isn't the Z1 included in the selection?

Because it is available now, it is disqualified.
:)
j/k

It can be included.

James Darren
April 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
The real pros RENT, not BUY.

exactly... for many wedding/events/indie films it definitely makes sense to rent cameras, that is if you know in advance when you need the camera.

where I am you can rent Z1/PD170/DVX100 etc ( i assume they'll have the HVX when it comes out) for about AU$150 for an overnight hire which includes a Miller Tripod, 3 x longlife batteries, fast charger & pelican case, probably about AU$10,000 worth of kit. Hire also includes insurance minus an excess if anything goes wrong of course. Tax deductable also.

Think about it, no maintennance, repairs, huge depreciation etc. Let someone else worry about the equipment....

Lenses, tripods, grip equipment, audio gear, lighting, etc is another story though.. pretty much your camera is the thing which will need replacing the quickest & is also the thing which depreciates fastest.

For many people, renting is..as many people on these boards say... a NO BRAINER!!