View Full Version : GL2 Final Cut capturing problem

Justin Montanino
April 20th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Much kudos to whoever can help out. My Mac G5 won't recognize this Canon GL2 camera I have. I've tried both Final Cut and iMovie. I have the camera set to VCR mode, plugged in with the adapter, with a tape running.

Here's what I've ruled out:
-Firewire cable (I've tried several)
-Mac Firewire port (other devices work)
-mostly ruled out Software settings (I've tried two different applications, and I'm comfortable with Final Cut, though I haven't used GL2's much).

I was thinking the Firewire port on the camera may be to blame, but this camera was used for capturing recently by someone else. Are there any settings on that camera that people can think of that might cause this?

Please help, I'm going crazy! Thank you!

Justin

Boyd Ostroff
April 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM
(I've tried two different applications, and I'm comfortable with Final Cut, though I haven't used GL2's much).
So what happens with iMovie? Does it have the same problem?

I've heard that some Canon cameras don't mix well with Macs. Is anything else plugged into your firewire ports? If so try unplugging everything but the camera. Do you have an external firewire drive? You can try plugging the camera into its pass-through port if available.

Ted Kazear
April 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
I had the same problem...then I realized I had the usb card wire hooked up and not the Video fire wire. The "apple firewire (720 x 480)" should be your setting, works like a charm on mine, I just pulled it outa the box and it fired right up.

Dean Cleary
May 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Much kudos to whoever can help out. My Mac G5 won't recognize this Canon GL2 camera I have. I've tried both Final Cut and iMovie. I have the camera set to VCR mode, plugged in with the adapter, with a tape running.

Here's what I've ruled out:
-Firewire cable (I've tried several)
-Mac Firewire port (other devices work)
-mostly ruled out Software settings (I've tried two different applications, and I'm comfortable with Final Cut, though I haven't used GL2's much).

I was thinking the Firewire port on the camera may be to blame, but this camera was used for capturing recently by someone else. Are there any settings on that camera that people can think of that might cause this?

Please help, I'm going crazy! Thank you!

Justin

Justin
I just got a new GL 2 and was having problems as well. I had the FW cable plugged into the front port of my G5 and, Nothing. I plugged it into my FW port in my Apple Display and it worked fine so try another port maybe.

Matt Stahley
May 18th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Have you tried turning on the cam before opening FCP?

Bill Hardy
May 24th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I have found that my second, newer GL2 conflicts when an external HD when its FW800 cable is plugged into my Powerbook 17". If you have any other external firewire external hardware I suggest you try removing it. The 2nd GL2 worked fine once the external HD was removed. My first GL2 has no such problems and will share firewire capability.

June 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM
I just tried to connect my GL2 to my Mac Dual 2.7 in my home office. It causes the G5 to freeze up and the only way to get out is to hold the power button down until the computer shuts down. The strange thing is, it works just fine at my office on my dual 2.5. They are both similar computers, each: a G5, running Tiger, running FCP 5.0, connecting in the front FireWire port, GL2 on and in VTR mode.

-------
update - I just tried it again. This time I opend FCP up without the FireWire connected, then closed it. Then plugged the FireWire in (in front) and opened it up again and it accepted it just fine. Go figure.