View Full Version : Camera & Photo bag

Chris Wright
April 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I'm looking for one good photo bag thats built well and big enough to hold both my GL2 and Digital Rebel XT as well as all the accessories.

I want to be able to carry all of the following:
GL2 and Digital Rebel XT
maybe one extra lens for the XT
Beachtek DXA-8 adapter
AT3031 mic and shock mount
Senn. G2 wireless kit
Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs headphones
extra batteries, tapes, memory cards, etc

Is there such a bag designed to carry all of this? I'd rather not have seperate photo and video bags since I'd rarely only take one or the other.

I've looked around on Tamrac's website and haven't really found much that seems to work, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

K. Forman
April 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Check this thread, and pay close attention to my bag...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35197

Graham Bernard
April 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I got 2 KATAs:

The 102 and now this puppy:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=252&cid=67&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

I can wheel this about and get 2 XM2s in it too!

Grazie

Jamie Rinehart
April 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I came across this big targus backpack and am using it for my GL2. It is the same size as a backpackers (hiking) pack put when you open it up it has the compartments for your different equipment. I can carry my camera, wide angle lens, shotgun mic w. case, xlr adapter, lights, filters, akg k100 headphones, all necessary cables, manuals, ets. plus it has a tri-pod mounting system on the back. It is advertised for outdoor photographers, but converted well, although it might be a discontinued item because I can't find it on thier website.

Chris Wright
April 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM
thanks for the replies

I'll look into the different suggestions and see if any of them will work well for me. Still open to other suggestions though.

Jim OMalley
April 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I purchased the Kata MC-60 last year. It's a great bag, but with only a couple of uses I've realized that I will definitely need to buy the Insertrolly to haul it around. It's much too big for over-the-shoulder carrying, unless it's half empty.

Chris Wright
April 25th, 2005, 03:31 PM
The MC-60 does look like a good case, however I don't see space for it to carry both the GL2 and the Digital Rebel. I may just have to get 2 seperate bags though.

Another one I came across is the WS-604:
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=297&cid=25&perentId=1&ProdLine=1

This is apparently lighter than the MC-60 and has more storage space. I think (hope) judging by the pictures, that I could put the GL2 in the main compartment, accessories in the front small compartment, the Digital Rebel body in one side pocket, and the 18-55mm kit lens in the other side pocket.

May be a bit cramped, but do you think it would work?

Graham Bernard
April 25th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Jim? I use the Insert trolley on my KATA - works a treat, on and off the very busy Underground here in London! My KATA os the BP-502. LOADSA room . ..

Grazie

Jim OMalley
April 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Grazie --

Funny you should mention the Underground. I had to lug the MC-60 to a job in the Wall Street area -- using the PATH subway between NY and NJ. It was at that moment that I realized the value of the Insertrolley.

Chris --

The MC-60 has a lot of room. I carried the GL2 and and Sony Hi-8 cam to the job mentioned above -- plenty of space for both, as well as accessories. But quite a load. Kata makes a larger bag, the MC-61 . . .

Jim

May 11th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I have the KATA BP-502 as well. It works incredible.... so much room and I feel like my equipment is very safe in it. A few days ago a 14 year old girl sat on top of it while it was in the back of a pickup (I didnt now t at the time) and thankfully no damage was done to my GL2...

If anyone is interested I have a BP-502 for sale.

jerry@fourtenmedia.com

Patrick Smith
May 12th, 2005, 08:11 AM
wow, that BP-502 is really nice!!!

I have a small kata bag, a hard shell case, and a camel back (backbpack).

I love all of them. The backpack i had before my camera, and when i go to place where i dont feel like carring my kata case i put the camera in that. it just barley fits my camera. but i don't feel as thoe it is safe in that.

I'm looking into that BP-502