View Full Version : GL2 vs DVX100...

Skip Hunt
October 15th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Hello Barry, I've read most of your impressions of the GL2 and they seem pretty fair and unbiased. I've been quite happy with GL1s for the last couple of years, but need to upgrade to something with a bump in resolving power. I'd been considering the PD150 or GL2, but have waited for the new Pana 24p cam. So far, I'm not quite sure what to think. I see great potential, but have seen very few impressive images. Not to mention the purple fringing along the left side of the frame, and within the main image on some examples. I'm going to sit tight a bit longer, but I need to upgrade fairly quick for a couple of upcoming projects. What is your take on the new Pana 24p? Is the GL2 a VERY significant improvement over the GL1 in terms of resolution, etc.? It appears to be from what I've seen. Since you seem like a fair individual, pay more attention to real world aesthetics as opposed to spec sheets, etc. I'm curious what your take on the new Pana is. If it doesn't survive the shakedown its getting now, I'll most likely place an order for new GL2s.

Skip Hunt

Ken Tanaka
October 15th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Hello Skip,
I've not tried the new DVX100 but the thread link below presents a very real issue to be considered concerning the use of 24p footage.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4201

Don Berube
October 15th, 2002, 10:19 PM
The GL2 does fill the frame entirely without any fringing on either side of the frame.

Barry Goyette
October 17th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Skip

I haven't had a chance to get intimate with an ag-dvx100 yet, so it's difficult to give you any real evaluation. The imagery I've seen hasn't knocked me out, certainly not any better than the gl2, what I've seen seemed to have a lot of noise.

I think the main appeal of the camera should be for those wanting to transfer to film, and possibly for DVD Authoring. For NTSC playback, the progressive scan requires the "thick" detail mode, which appears to be no more detailed than the frame mode (actually, my first impression was that it was quite a bit softer).

The thing that intrigues me most is the amount of in-camera controls...panasonic has gone to a new level in this category for giving the user control over the image...on the other hand...at first look the number of choices seems daunting. Also, I'm surprised by some of the limitations...no slow shutter speeds, no gain adjustment in 24p.

Gl2 or DVX100? Well, the panasonic is $1000 more, and for that you get a lot of nice features...xlr inputs, larger ccd's, 24p, focus indexing, expanded controls--I also like their decision to go with a wider native lens. I don't think these two camera's are really meant to compete....they are a two entirely different levels, and price points. Will the dvx100 produce a better image?...nothing I've seen indicates that it will.

Regarding that purple fringe...if you read the firestorm on these boards last year regarding the blanking on the xl1s...for the people who complained loudest (re web delivery) this seems much more serious to me... at least a black bar sort of disappears, this fringe looks like some poorly processed super8... also, the stills I've seen indicate the fringing isn't just on the edge, but also appears throughout the image on high contrast edges...like a smear.

On a personal level, I've just invested a lot of dough in new optics for my xl1s, and I'm more interested to see what Canon does with the XL platform once it gets ahold of panasonic's chips. My guess (and that's all it is) is that this will happen next summer.

Cheers

Barry

Skip Hunt
October 17th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks Barry. I appreciate your candor. Too many people are getting sooooo passionate/angry over valid and legitimate criticism and evaluation. I really love the feature set of the DVX100, and the possibility of honing in my own "look" via all the levels of control... then storing for reuse. The GL2 is tried and true, but I have a hunch that the DVX100 can be tweaked out to produce some nice imagery. I may go ahead and take it for a spin. Hell, the hype to so out of control for this camera that if I find the fringing is something I can't live with, it should be easy enough to unload. ;-)

Skip

Barry Goyette
October 17th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Skip

If you haven't already, take a hike over to 2-pop.com. They've been having a spirited discussion (albeit, not always as polite as this one) about the ag-dvx100 for many moons now, with alot of input from panasonic marketing and technical folks. Most likely, you can't go wrong with this new camera, or any of the main contenders...they all are excellent tools...the most important thing is to figure out which one fits your needs best, and then get out and start using it.

Good luck

Barry

Skip Hunt
October 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Yep, been over there. Actually, I think I've been the target of some of the more nasty dialogue. And all because I'm wanting to see at least one decent image from it before I buy. I've pretty much decided to give the new Pana 24p a shot as long as the dealer has some sort of return policy.

thanx,

skip