View Full Version : Auto Mode

Jennifer Graves
May 5th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I was just curious what others thought of the GL2's auto mode. I just started doing wedding videography and I am still getting comfortable with using the manual settings. Since things can move pretty fast at a wedding I was wondering if staying with the auto mode should be ok until I am more comfortable rather than losing shots because I was trying to adjust.

Jeremy Davidson
May 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Most of the time I like to use the manual settings, but in some cases (such as those with dramatically-changing light levels), auto mode can work well. It sometimes tends to overexpose if you're not careful, though, so keep a good eye on your zebra stripes. On the other hand, it's sometimes noticeable when you change stops in manual mode (a sudden jump in brightness), but auto can transition more gradually. (I had a shot earlier this week where I used auto, with very good results.)

All said, auto has its uses, but I highly recommend that you get more comfortable with manual mode as I think this is where this camera really shows its strengths.

Ken Tanaka
May 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Do whatever you need to do to get the job done. Running the camera in fully manual exposure and focus modes offers you the greatest degree of control. But that's only really appropriate in situations where you also have control of, or can at least accurately forecast, the events that will unfold in front of you. Coverage of events such as news and weddings generally makes such manual intervention impractical. Use of at least some of the camera's auto functions, which you paid for, is essential in such situations. Don't let the highbrows make you feel guilty for leaning on the camera's technology. I guarantee you that nearly everyone does.

What I do recommend, if you've not already done so, is to become extremely familiar with how your cameras auto modes actually function. Develop an intuitive feeling for how Tv and auto focus actually behave on your camera in the various settings you expect to need them. Become extremely dextrous at changing modes nearly blindly. At that point the automatic functions basically become an extension of your manual controls.

Have fun...shamelessly!

Jeremy Davidson
May 5th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Well said, Ken; you are right! Viewing auto as an added feature to the manual settings is a great perspective (wish I'd thought of that). Admittedly I'd forgotten about the Tv and Av modes and had fallen into the Manual-is-always-better way of thinking. I should investigate those other modes more thoroughly. The same could probably be said for the GL2's audio functions (auto vs. manual -- pick the best sounding one).

Thanks for the reminder! ...and yes, make sure you have fun!