View Full Version : Mic Problem

Jeff Hochmuth
September 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Im using a standard canon stero microphone, and im having trouble picking up an audio signal, the mic is plugged in properly, the input is set to mic, the levels and balances are all correct. The audio monitor is not showing an any sort of audio level, i've tried using auto record level and manual and I still get nothing. I have a 7 inch lcd monitor hooked up to my camera which is plugged into the back color cords. I have been trying every possible solution, can anyone help me out?

Don Palomaki
September 27th, 2009, 07:17 AM
The XL series offers a variety f audio input options, and ths a numbr of ways to have it not work normally, so a few questions.

How long have you had the camera and is it an XL1 or XL1s?
Are you using the stock Canon mic that shipped with the camcorder?

That are the Menu Audio settings?
What are the Audio switch settings?
Can you get audio from previously recorded tapes?
Can yo record audio from the other inputs (e.g., the RCA Audio 1 input)
Can you get audio if you try a differnt microphone?
To you have access to another XL series camcorder on which to try the mic?

If you disconnect everything (e.g., your monitor) but the mic, does it work?
Have you plugged anything into the small jack on the back by the RCA jacks?

Jeff Hochmuth
September 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
HI Don,

I've only had the camera for a week or so, It was used previously, but the microphone was working properly when I got it. Its a canon XL1S.

I am using the standard Canon stereo Mic that comes with the camera.

Audio Menu Settings: in VCR SET UP
REC MODE-SP
AUDIO MODE- 16bit

VCR MODE MENU SETTINGS:
REC MODE- SP
OUTPUT CH- L/R
MIX SELECT- Variable
AUDIO MODE- 16 bit

AUDIO 1/MIC SETTINGS:
REC LEVEL- M
INPUT SELECT- Mic

I have no previous recorded tapes with audio because i just got a new load arm, and that had to be fixed before i started shooting.

I have no other mics, nor do I have access to another xl series After disconnecting the monitor i still will not receive any audio.

Don Palomaki
September 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
You can use a set of low cost stereo headphones to approximate a stereo microphone. While not great, they will be adequate for test purposes. Plut them nto the mic jack in lieu of the supplied mic. Set the Rec Level switch to A, speak into the head phones and you should see some indication on the meter.

Note that the Canon mic requires 5 VDC power from the camcorder, provided via the small (2.5mm) jack. It is not common, but not unheard of, for a wire to become detached in teh mic.

Any friends with a MiniDV camcorder? You may be able to borrow a tape from them to see if it plays, or the tape you used when you determined the audio worked.

Nathan Gifford
September 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Change mix from variable to stereo-1. The main mic comes in on stereo-1.