View Full Version : Protective covering for shooting paintball events

Richard Cole
May 31st, 2005, 09:53 PM
Can anybody recomend a cover made out of neoprene or something that would help protect my camera when I'm shooting on a paintball field? All the covers I can find are for rain and sand. Will I be better off going to Jo-Anne fabrics and buying some to custom make it?

Thanks.

Richard Alvarez
May 31st, 2005, 09:59 PM
The only thing I could think of that would truly be hermetically sealed, and impact resistant would be an underwater housing. Bit pricey though for paint ball.

Rick Bravo
May 31st, 2005, 10:12 PM
We've covered paintball training with our SWAT team and haven't protected the cameras at all and have ended up with nothing worse than a spatter here and there.

If you are going to cover these events in depth and will be doing a lot of them a rain slicker should work perfectly, assuming that you are properly identified as a non-combatant. You should not be taking any direct hits.

Housings like the EWA bags are very expensive, hard to shoot through in that kind of event and very noisy (rubber squeaking) since the microphone is inside the bag.

Or you can go for the whole nine yards and outfit yourself like this while shooting!!!

http://www.rbravo.com/vsu_photos_3.htm Scroll down to mid-page!

Good luck and keep your head down!

RB

Richard Cole
May 31st, 2005, 11:44 PM
I don't need protection to the extent that it has to be water sealed, just enough to protect the displays (Audio LCD sidebars) and buttons. I'll give a custom job a go, will post back with results.

Hagoth Aiono
June 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM
i would go the neoprene route. its a bit expensive by the yard, but if you know someone who is a seamstress, they can custom fit it to your gl2. good luck on the lense part though.

i think someone from pballstar.com made a neoprene cover for his gl2 to shoot tournaments.