View Full Version : HDV Ingestion Dilemma

Mark Ross
June 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks in advance for any help with this...

I've got to edit some HDV (mixed with a little standard DV) into a three minute piece that will then be output to DVCPro for SD broadcast. I have FC Express HD, as well as FCP HD 4.5. (I may also have access to the Lumiere plug-in, but it's not on my machine at the moment so I'm not counting on it.) Our upgrade to FCP 5 is "on its way" and won't be here until mid-June. That is not soon enough!

My dilemma is, of course, how to best get my HDV in to work with. The consensus seems to be that the AIC is poor. I did a little test with FCX and ingested using AIC, then output to MPEG-2 for a DVD. It was not horrible, but I still want to edit native HDV!

That's not gonna happen unless I drive an hour to the Apple store and pony up the $$$ (of my own money) to buy FCP 5 or Studio. Or get in my time machine and go forward a few weeks.

However, a buddy of mine has an Aja Io box and I could, in theory, connect the HDV deck via component and perhaps get better quality digitizing that way.

Any thoughts, suggestions, insults? Thanks again.

Mark Ross
June 3rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
Hmmmm. Maybe finding that Lumiere plug-in is the way to go as a stop-gap measure... Going off to read up on it now...

Mark Ross
June 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Wow... not one reply? Is this question that far offbase, or is it so dumb it's not worth replying to?

Well, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do this FCPX/AIC. I'd really, really love to have the native editing, but oh well.

FWIW: The Aja Io doesn't do HDV.

What about that HDVxDV program? Anyone use that? Thanks, Mark

Shane Ross
June 6th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Try posting these questions on the Apple Discussions for FCP:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@178.bUn4a6TQepP.0@.ee6bcd7

More people using HDV. A difficult format to work with, even in it's native format. ESPECIALLY if you and to mix it with SD.