View Full Version : FCP: Problem with audio

Richard Guaty
June 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I've been having frequent occurances of some sort of static on my audio tracks, whether it's an imported song or a voice over. It's not too drastic or noticable but it's totally unprofessional.

Maybe this is happening from too many renders over time of project...? It seems to occur for the first time after having worked on the sequence for a few days of work. What have I done?

PS: Also, can someone pleeeaaase tell me how to make a still jpeg from a frame in the FCP timeline? I completely forgot how.

Richard Guaty

Boyd Ostroff
June 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Are you able to confirm that the problem is really on the audio track and not related to playback (through the analog preamps, speakers, etc)?

The only thing that occurs to me is that some of your levels are too high. What are the maximum peaks you see on FCP's VU meters? Usually best to keep these in the -6dB range, with brief transients -3dB perhaps. If anything ever goes to 0 on the meter it will cause distortion.

Boyd Ostroff
June 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Using FCP 4.5, choose File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion. Pick "still image" from the drop down Format menu. Use the options button to choose file format, and also set JPEG compression to best quality (it defaults to pretty poor quality).

Dave Perry
June 4th, 2005, 08:05 PM
We usually keep audio in the -12db range.

Richard Guaty
June 4th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I've gone through a screening process for audio peaks and made the adjustments but still the static. I'm gonna burn to DVD to check if it outputs free of static.

Thanks a million

Boyd Ostroff
June 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM
If the audio was originally recorded at too high a level I don't think you can salvage it. Once anything passes the 0dB threshold it distorts. Analog equipment is more forgiving than digital. Sort of like blowing out the highlights in the image, once that detail is lost it's gone forever.