View Full Version : XL2 not communicating with FCP

James Lang
June 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Hi guys, I can't seem to make my XL2 communicate with Final Cut Pro. The XL2 is connected, via a Firewire cable and FCP recognizes the connection, but when I go to import video from the XL2, FCP gives me an error message stating it can't read any video signal. I noticed on the XL2's monitor it says "DV in"; shouldn't it say "DV out"?. There appears to be nothing in the XL2's menu's to set the camera for "DV out". FCP is set up to control a NTSC Firewire device, etc., and works fine with a Sony MiniDV deck I also sometimes use. I need to import directly form the XL2 this time to test something out. I have other Firewire devices (HD drives) connected to other Firewire ports on the G5 (the MiniDV deck is disconnected).
Have I not set the XL2 or FCP up properly for communication? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Boyd Ostroff
June 5th, 2005, 07:21 AM
People seem to have a lot of problems with the XL2 and FCP. I think DV IN is correct, or at least that's what my Sony cameras say.

The usual things to try are different permutations of the firewire ports. Unplug everything but the camera and see if that helps. Try plugging the camera into a pass-through port of a firewire drive.

Also, are you running any antivirus software? Virex and Norton evidently conflict with FCP, try turning them off. If all else fails try this procedure:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=310257&postcount=6

Dan Mumford
June 5th, 2005, 08:08 AM
One silly question. You do have your XL2 in VCR mode, right? If you do (believe me, brain farts affect everyone from time to time) have you tried putting the XL2 into DV control mode? Page 82 of the manual will give you step by step instructions. Sometimes its the simple things.

Dan

Jason Hilton
June 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I had a similar problem when I got my XL-2. The camera saw the firewire connection, but for some reason FCP wasn't able to see the camera. I ended up deleting FCP prefs files and starting up with the camera already on and plugged in. I haven't had a problem since.

-Jason

James Lang
June 6th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Yup, too many Firewire devices. I disconnected all the external devices, and FCP communicated with the XL2 fine. Should have known that was the issue. Thanks for all your help guys!

Cassidy Bisher
June 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I had a similar problem when I got my XL-2. The camera saw the firewire connection, but for some reason FCP wasn't able to see the camera. I ended up deleting FCP prefs files and starting up with the camera already on and plugged in. I haven't had a problem since.

-Jason

-jason i am having this problem, i am trying to capture to my Lacie drive. i have firewire 400 hooked up to my power book, and dv to firewire to 800 to my LACIE drive. i deleted my prefs and restarted FCP with my camera on... still no video single. but i can controll it from the viewer.

cass

Boyd Ostroff
June 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I think your situation may be more problematic. Can the drive also use FW400? Does it have a pass-through port? If so, try plugging the camera directly into the external drive.

Seems that there have been a number of posts about people with problems using LaCie FW800 drives. I'm not sure how (or if) they were resolved unfortunately...

Jason Hilton
June 12th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Well, great, now I've got the same problem. I can control the camera from the computer, but I cannot see video in the preview window, and when I try the capture now button, it tells me to check my settings for an input device. There is only one choice for an input device, XL-2, and it is selected by default. I do not have any other firewire devices plugged into my machine. I am trying to capture using the advanced pulldown easy setup with animorphic video checked. Anyone have any other solutions to this problem?

thanks

-Jason

EDIT: Not sure why, but unchecking the box next to "Capture Card Supports Simultanious Play Through and Capture" took care of the viewing problem, but I am still unable to capture! ARRAGHGHG!

Greg Boston
June 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Gentlemen,

Since this thread is more about the variation of FCP set-up and Apple hardware set-up, I am going to move this thread to Non Linear Editing on The Mac. I think it will find a more appropriate audience there with better chance for resolution.

regards,

=gb=

p.s. FWIW, I am using my XL-2 to capture into FCP4.5 HD onto my Imac G5 and haven't had any problems yet.

Jason Hilton
June 16th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Alright. After some very irritating troubleshooting I think I have it locked down. The problem is the framerate selection in the capture preset. If it is left blank, you cannot capture. I changed it to 23.98 and capture worked immediately and hasn't had a problem since. My only question is do I set it to 23.98 or 24? The preset is called 23.98 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal.

thanks

-Jason

Mark Shanahan
June 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
I think your situation may be more problematic. Can the drive also use FW400? Does it have a pass-through port? If so, try plugging the camera directly into the external drive.

Seems that there have been a number of posts about people with problems using LaCie FW800 drives. I'm not sure how (or if) they were resolved unfortunately...

In response to your comment related to LaCie FW800 drives: When I try to capture to my Glyph DV Project FW800 drive from my XL2 through my G5, the G5 does not fire up. The monitor stays black and the fans on the G5 slowly wind up to screaming speed. Capturing to the G5 hard drive is fine with the XL2 alone. And the Glyph works fine alone with the G5. But use them together and it doesn't work. The G5 and Glyph had been working fine using a Panasonic AGDV100p miniDV deck. Now I'm having trouble with that, too. Is it a firewire issue? Any ideas?