View Full Version : Auto White Balance of XM2

limnz0110
October 25th, 2002, 03:20 PM
I finally got my XM2 and I'm founding out every function of it.

One thing I found strange is about the auto white balance.
I shot a wall which is ibory(?) color ... at first it look like redish so i press the white balance button to manual-->indoor--->outdoor and back again to auto --> then it came back to normal.

Does anyone notice this?

Andre De Clercq
October 27th, 2002, 03:01 AM
AWB systems nowadays are based on image analisys to determine WB correction in auto. A camcorder, as soon as it is switched on, slowly builds up a scene based correction information, even when being on manual. This corr. info is used as soon as you go to auto. So if you point yr cam to a colored wall it starts neutral, or with the WB correction you got just before you pointed to the wall. During the time that you switched manual, indoor... the new correction info became available and got you the right WB in auto.

Aaron Koolen
October 27th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Hey there limNZ! Glad to see you went out and got yourself an XM2. Give me an email and we'll have a chat about it.

Cheers
Aaron

Vinson Watson
October 27th, 2002, 04:27 PM
How much are XM2s and where can I get one. How different are they from GL-2 (except being pal)? How's the frame mode? Is there frame mode? My biggest question is price and who can get on for me?

-Vinson

Aaron Koolen
October 27th, 2002, 07:36 PM
There isn't much in the way of difference. The only two I know if are

1) Resolution - 720x576 as opposed to 720x480
2) DV Encoding is 4:2:0 and not 4:1:1 like NTSC

In Auckland, New Zealand the cheapest place to get them is from Auckland Camera Centre. They sell for $5132. Which equates to
about US$2,500. I dunno if that's a good or bad US$ price. And then you'd have shipping on top of that. Yes it does have frame mode. In fact I think they are identical apart from the two things I mentioned above.

Cheers
Aaron

Vinson Watson
October 28th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks.

-Vinson