View Full Version : Silly thing about GL2 -- DC terminal

Ignacio Artiņano
October 26th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Hi.
May be a silly thing, but I canīt find a function for the 5 Volt CC terminal just above the headphone and mic terminals on that camcorder.

Any idea?

Ignacio

Peter Moore
October 26th, 2002, 10:01 AM
The only thing I could think of is a 5V AC->DC adapter, but I'm not gonna risk blowing up the camcorder by trying it. :)

Ken Tanaka
October 26th, 2002, 10:37 AM
The mysterious 5v terminal really has little practical purpose. The XL1s also features such a terminal, but in this case the terminal powers the MA-200 and MA-100 units. But in the case of the GL2 this hole seems to be without purpose; consider it the GL2's belly-button.

Ignacio Artiņano
October 26th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Thanks Ken for your post.

Now Iīm sure that the 5Volt CD is for the MA-300 (accesory for 2 XLR inputs of the GL2). But I donīt quite understand, that 5 volt DC, may give enough power for the 12-48 volts required for the Fanthom supply. ????

Ignacio A.

Ken Tanaka
October 26th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ignacio,
Actually, I believe that the MA-300 for the GL2 draws its power directly from the "Smart Shoe". I have a GL2 (but not the MA-300) and know that the shoe provides direct power to the tiny 3 watt light accessory. So I would imagine that it also powers the MA-300 directly.

The GL2 cannot provide phantom power to mics. So the 5v terminal remains a "belly-button".

Ignacio Artiņano
October 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Hi again.

Probably the answer is in the MA-300 itself, or in the accessory userīs manual.
I also have an XM2 (pal version of GL2) and I should like to know how to conect an XLR mic fantom powered, sennheiser M66 or similar.

By the time, the "belly-button" is still valid

Ignacio

Ken Tanaka
October 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
You do not need "phantom" power for the ME-66 microphone. This is a modular mic system that separates the mic from its power source. With your camera you normally purchase the K6 power module (which holds a AA battery to power the mic) with the ME-66 then connect the mic to an MA-300 or to another brand of xlr adapter such as a BeachTek or Studio-1 unit.

Harry Baxter
October 31st, 2002, 09:38 PM
My first DV cam was a Panasonic 1-chip EZ-whatever back in '98. I had a shotgun mic that had a 2-prong connector on the end of its cable - one for audio and one for power. The spacing of the holes on the cam would seem to match the old connector. I believe nothing is mentioned in the manual about it because Canon doesn't make a mic with that kind of connector - but accomidates it.

Nice feature for those who need it - for the rest of us, it's still a belly-button.

Don Palomaki
November 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
The 5 VDC is for powering several accessory mics that were in the Canon line; e.g., the ZM-100 mic stereo zoom mic (was stock mic on teh L1/L2) and a mixer mic (MM-??? from the L1/2 era). It is not phantom power.

FWIW: The ME66 with K6 module can do phantom or its own battery power.