View Full Version : Green screen software

Nathan Petersen
June 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I'm having some trouble keying out some green on the edges of the figure. Is there any software to get rid of green along the edges, right know im using Permiere. Also the green is almost reflecting on the person's hair but one of the lights is directly directed toward the screen (300 watt light) and two lights are point directly at the person (from the sides). Anyway is there any really good green screen software that works well with edges so the edges look smooth?

Nathan Petersen
June 8th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I ended up saving one of my clips as a .flm file from premiere I inserted that clip into Photoshop and then switched it to lab color then I went to channels and gave layers A and B a motion blur with a 0 degree and 4 pixel count then I switched it back to RGB color and saved the .flm and inserted it back to Permiere. Worked great now the edges are smooth. I think you can find this tutorial somewhere. Anyway it will probably take a long time for long clips/scenes.

Any other solutions that don't take so long. Someone? Anyone, Anyone?

Aaron Shaw
June 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Without seeing how bad the footage is at the moment, I have a few general suggestions:

1) Many NLE's have a chroma blur filter (does the same thing Nathan did - but faster =) )

2) Use a choke matte to help contain and smooth out the edges

Don Donatello
June 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM
sounds like green spill ..spill is difficult to remove with NLE's . you could try some othe programs that specialize in green screen = Dvgarage matt , Ultra2 , AE , combustion .. .
some have some of photoshop features that you can set the area of the in the frame and how many pixels (wide) you want to affect , then add a CC to that area only or many programs have a preset green spill suppression then adjustments for the suppression ..

Nathan Petersen
June 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Aaron are there any plugins for Adobe premiere. Yeah the whole Photoshop thing works great, its just so dang slow, might as well fall asleep and come back when its done, it even takes long opening the .flm considering the size of course. Photoshop won't even take anything much bigger then 1500 frames, of course thats understandable. Aron if you can find some plugins etc that would be great. Thanks for the replies guys!

Nathan Petersen
June 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I just found out that the photoshop method saves the files huge, like a few gigs. Is there any plugins for After effects 6.5 out there someone knows about.

Eric Holloway
June 13th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Have you guys tried Ultimatte?

http://www.ultimatte.com/

It's extremely expensive but I've seen first hand what it's capable of. I haven't bought the DV product "yet", but I have purchased the Photoshop plugin and it works awesome! It takes all the green/blue spill completely out of the photo.

I was at their headquarters in Chatsworth, CA and they demo'd the DV software for me a while back... It's amazing... Anyway, if you can afford it and it will help make you money, then I would recommend this product.

Eric

Karl Soule
June 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Another program you may want to consider is ULTRA by Serious Magic.

http://www.seriousmagic.com

In all fairness, I work for the company, so I'm biased, but seeing how clean the key was on a DV signal was what made me want to work for the company.

Aanarav Sareen
June 16th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Nathan,

Since you do have After Effects 6.5, check out the KeyLight filter. It comes on the AE disc as a separate installer.

Nathan Petersen
June 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
oh, I have to check that out...thanks for the reminder.

Aaron Shaw
June 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Keylight should do everything you need! Great filter. I honestly can't remember if Premiere has a chroma blur filter.. somehow I'm thinking it doesn't but that's just a guess. I have no idea about a matte choker. Anyway, you should be able to do all that and more in After Effects :).

Ultimatte is superb. Just wish I had the money for it.