View Full Version : GL2 Surf Footage

Everett Sullivan
June 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I have a GL2 and film alot of surfing with it (well atleast when we get a swell) and was wondering if anyone else films or plans to film any surfing with a GL2. Just wondering if anyone had any suggested settings for that kind of scenery/footage. Thanks.

Cliff Elliott
June 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Hi Everett, I haven't shot a lot of surfing video but recently when asked to shoot a surf contest between two schools I first tried recording using auto with gain control which turned out to be a little flat, I then turned on the sand and snow setting and found it to be a lot better by giving the scene a more vibrant look, I also found this setting helpfull in snow work.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Patrick Pike
June 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
If your filming from the beach (ie, not in an underwater housing) try a polarizing filter. This will help cut the glare of sand/sky/water and make the images much richer in color.

good luck and enjoy the waves

Dean Cleary
July 27th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I have a GL2 and film alot of surfing with it (well atleast when we get a swell) and was wondering if anyone else films or plans to film any surfing with a GL2. Just wondering if anyone had any suggested settings for that kind of scenery/footage. Thanks.
I haven't used my GL 2 yet to shoot the surf. I used to use a Sony digi 8 cause most of my stuff was for the web. I used the sports setting with great results. I now am learning my GL 2 like you. Have fun and see you at the beach. You can check out some of my stuff at http://www.surftheater.com

David Ennis
July 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I have a GL2 and film alot of surfing with it (well atleast when we get a swell) and was wondering if anyone else films or plans to film any surfing with a GL2. Just wondering if anyone had any suggested settings for that kind of scenery/footage. Thanks.Keep in mind that sand can be deadly to your tape mechanism. It doesn't take much. Sand on you hands or clothing, or sand in the wind is a hazard especially when changing tapes.