View Full Version : Are G5 sales taking a beating?

Paul Cascio
June 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM
I would not be surprised to see a substantial price reduction very soon.

Duane Smith
June 13th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Well, considering Apple hasn't released any sales numbers in the past two weeks, I'd say that it's hard to tell if sales are taking a beating or not. At best, you might get some "per location" sales information from an employee somewhere, but otherwise you'll have to wait until the company releases official sales information sometime. But I agree that at some point, Apple will probably discount the G5 product line some (but they may not necessarily be "substantial" price cuts).

But then again, I was just in one of my local Apple stores yesterday (buying a new iMac for my dad) and that place was busier than I'd ever seen it for a non-special-event day. Computers were just flying out the door; I was only there for about 15 minutes and I saw 6 Macs go out the door. From that limited experience, it doesn't seem like the Intel announcement has hurt them in the slightest.

We shall have to wait and see...

Bill Pryor
June 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I'm going with a friend this afternoon to pick up a new G5, and I just bought a new iBook for myself not very long ago. I don't see why the fact that they're going to be using a new processor in a year or so would affect sales. The current system will be supported for a number of years. If we need additional G5s at the office, we'll buy them before they go away--nobody wants to be the first kid on the block with the new toy when the intel version comes out. I'd prefer to wait until the second generation.