View Full Version : XL1 does not turn on in any mode, with battery or DC power adaptor

Harvinder Singh
October 12th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Hi,

I have a Canon XL1, I used it last week for a 10 hour continious shoot. Was ok, but during it switched it self off a few times? It was being powered by the DC power adaptor. Towards the end of the shoot, this seemed to stop working so used a battery. That was fine for the remainder of the shoot.

the next day, I tried to turn on the XL1 to watch the video, but it would not turn on. Using the DC power adaptor or a battery?

Not sure if the DC power adaptor is the problem, as it seems show the battery charging light if I connect a battery to it? So it could be the part that connects to the charger and the camcorder?

Anyone had this problem or any suggestions to what i can try to see what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

Don Palomaki
October 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
A bit unusual.

Are there any any messages, warnings, lights, on-screen display, etc. before it shuts off?

Anything unusual in the video or audio just ebfore it shuts off?

Chris Hurd
October 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Track down another power supply if you can. That way you can isolate the problem and determine if it's the power supply or the camera.

Harvinder Singh
October 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the replys.

Don,

there is no reaction at all from the camera when I attach the power supply or the battery?
there was nothing unusual happen before I switched it off after the shoot (this is after I switched to using the battery as the DC power supply seamed to stop working all of a sudden a few hours before the end of the shoot, one thing, I think i noticed the "The backup battery is not properly installed, or needs replacing" light flash up on screen just before it switched off. but this battery is only 4 months old and I had a spare with me so I replaced it. And you would still expect the camera to turn on even if the backup battery was needing replaced?)
the last tape I used is still inside the camera, so cant check that, the other 5 tapes are all perfect.

Chris,

I have ordered another power supply so I will see if that fixes it.

I did send an email to canon support a few days ago and they sent me a reply asking me to send the Camera and power supply to thier UK repair centre in Hertfordshire. Has anyone sent there camera there before? How much do think it will cost to have canon look at it?

Don Palomaki
October 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Trying another power supply is a good suggestion to rule it out.

Do you have more than one battery?
Can you confirm that the battery has a full charge?

In the USA Canon gives an estimate before they do the work, but you will eb charged for shipping as a minimum, if you decide not to do the work. Not sure what they do in the UK. Canon should tell you.

The source of the problem could be any of a number if issue, so if a differnt power supply does not address it, service is about the only option.

Waldi Krasowski
October 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Almost the same happened to me (XL1) lately. The camera has been left running on battery, so went into standby mode, then battery ran out of power and a camera never went on... No matter if powered by DC or fully charged battery - was dead, deadly dead. Canon service has to replace main board of the camera, what worked out, but was bloody costly...

Don Palomaki
October 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM
The camera has been left running on battery, so went into standby mode, then battery ran out of power and a camera never went on... No matter if powered by DC or fully charged battery - was dead, deadly dead. Canon service has to replace main board of the camera,

That sounds like combination of issues. Running the battery to cut-off should not cause other problems once a good power source is attached. However, a main board failure could be the cause of the dead battery by draining it.

The simple internal issues could be as simple as a blown fuse, but then what cause the fuse to blow.

A Canon-qualified service maybe the answer.

Nathan Gifford
October 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Try pressing the standby button and see if the camera comes back on. I would also check with a fully charged battery.