View Full Version : Batch converting Quicktime STEREO to QT 2 x Mono

Marcello Mazzilli
October 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Is there a way to batch convert a MOV file (with a stereo track 48k) to a MOV file with 2 MONO tracks? This without re-rendering video (thus loosing quality) but just re-wrapping ?

I need to do this because I found a software from Convergent Design, called File Converter that is very useful to batch convert (without re-rendering.. just re-wrapping !) XDCAM MOV wrapped files to XDCAM MXF wrapped files. Unfortunately this software makes a mistake in translating the stereo track into two mono tracks and the resulting audio track are unreadable...

Christopher Drews
October 26th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, but not with batch.
Hit Apple+J in QuickTime Pro.
Select audio tracks, re-assign to two mono tracks (see screenshot).
-C

Marcello Mazzilli
October 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Thanks.. it works.. but still... Conversion doesn't.. so it's not just that the difference between JVC HM700 and Sony EX1

Andy Mees
October 26th, 2009, 03:33 AM
> Unfortunately this software makes a mistake in translating the stereo track into two mono tracks...

Mistake? The Sony XDCAM MXF format is defined as having discrete mono audio tracks, nothing else is technically valid for that format so I'm guessing this conversion is probably intended.

>... and the resulting audio track are unreadable.

Not good. Unreadable where?

Marcello Mazzilli
October 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I convert the stereo track to 2x mono with quicktime (still 16bit, still 48khz).
The conversion in File Converter gives half a sec of silence, half a sec of white noise, half of silence, etc...
I sent a file to a guy from Nano that, allthough I don't own a Nano, is willing to test and to help.
Hope to hear from him soon.
A good batch process from MOV to MXF could be very usefull. Also.. i know MHF wants mono tracks.. and that Nano uses that kind of clips... but including some tool that recognizes stereo tracks and converts them into two mono should be quite easy (it's not like from 48K to 44.iK or from 16bit to 24 that includes interpolating etc... ) and usefull.