View Full Version : DV Compatability in UK?

Steve Fuller
June 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if i bought a DV or HD cam in the Far East (Hong Kong/Singapore etc) would it be compatible to use in the UK (on computer editing software/playback on tv/dvd player)?

Thanks!

Paulo Figueiredo
June 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
two things can be incompatible: ac power (110v/220v) and video signal type (PAL/NTSC)

from what I can see (not sure of this) any former british colony uses PAL and you can always get an AC adapter for your country (its just the dc thats gets into the camera that counts here).

just be careful when buying to check f it is NTSC or PAL

edit: one thing that crossed my mind: is china NTSC or PAL? they are (or will be) the largest market out there and that might be good for us in PAL land...anyone knows this one?

Benjamin Durin
June 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
China is PAL, as well is Hong Kong.
I bought a Panasonic GS400 (PAL) in Hong Kong and the AC adaptor is 110-240V 50/60Hz. Three plugs were provided, one that works in Taiwan where I live now, one that would work in France, and one that could be for UK.

I see no reason why you couldn't buy a DV cam in Hong Kong !

Glenn Chan
June 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Maybe check that the menus are English? I think they would be though.

Kyle Ringin
June 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Most chargers now days are multi voltage/frequency compatible. At the worst it'd just be a case of buying the correct cable with the UK plug on it to plug into the charger.

Just check the charger says 110-250v 50-60Hz. I think you'll be right though, as long as it's a PAL camera.

Remember the warranty though. Is it back to base?