View Full Version : PSD into FCP

John Godwin
November 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I've tried importing some .psd's into FCP 7 (on Leopard) and they come in flattened. I've poked around on the net and it appears you are supposed to be able to import psds and they'll come up as their own sequence - sometimes. I don't have photoshop installed on the edit mac, it's on a windows machine along with CS3. I don't know if the photoshop documents (from a client) were created on a mac or win machine.

So, is this supposed to work? Is there a trick to it?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun Roemich
November 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
John, I don't have FCP7 but in all previous versions, if you double click on the PSD in the Browser, it loads into the Timeline window as a Sequence (in layers) but there are ways to load a PSD directly into the Viewer and have it open as if it was a clip. How are you opening the PSD and how (and where) does it appear?

John Godwin
November 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Shaun,

I tried clicking to load it onto the timeline, placing it on the timeline and clicking, right clicking and trying to open it in the editor, nothing seemed to work. In the meantime I've exported a bunch of .pngs and I'm working just fine with those, but I would like to solve this. Thanks for the reply.

Shaun Roemich
November 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ok, if you Double Click a PSD in the Browser, what happens? Where does it open? (I'm using 6.0.6)

John Godwin
November 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Double-clicking opens it in the viewer. Whatever I do with it - dragging it from the viewer to the timeline, or dragging it from the browser to the timeline, it behaves like a single normal graphic.

Shaun Roemich
November 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Interesting... I wonder if it needs a Library from an installed Photoshop seat in order to open as layers. All my edit computers have always had a seat of PS.

John Godwin
November 7th, 2009, 08:40 PM
"Maximize Capability" is turned on ... thanks for the help. It's almost 10 pm here in Atlanta, and I've had just about enough of me for one day, so I'll try more tomorrow.

Thanks again...