View Full Version : Sharpness Level

Eric Hess
June 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Should always keep my sharpness level the same, or should i change it for certain shots? If it should stay the same where do you reccomend I should keep it?

Dale Guthormsen
June 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Eric,

I shoot footage every day and I have been expirmenting with all four of the presets.

I make no effort to try to make video be film like. Most of the people that speak of turning down the sharpness are trying to render a more film like look.

I have found that I like my detail best with the sharpness one or two clicks up.
I have color gain turned down

I have found indoors I turn the color phase down and outdoors I turn the color phase up, one or two either way of the marker.

I have been keeping my set up level down one click as well.

Sense I have moved to these settings my footage is much better.

Dale Guthormsen

Johnny Lucus
June 30th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I usually shoot in frame mode and I have my custom settings set up to look like film or as close as I could get. Color Gain is up 4, but when out doors its like 5 or 6 up;Color phase depends on the location; Sharpness is down 2 clicks, setup level is dow 3 or 4 clicks. For your sharpness level, it depends on how you want your footage to look. If you want it to look really video-y then boost shapness and just shoot on 60i. If you want the footage to look closer to film boost color saturation, lower sharpness, and lower setup level, shoot frame mode. As for specific situations where you would want to adjust sharpness I think maybe if you were in the woods and the trees had lots of light on them, I would probably lower sharpness. Any scene where many detailed objects are heavily highlighted or overexposed (i.e. tree branches in a forest) I would probably consider lowering it. Just mess with the settings and see what you like.