View Full Version : Buy gl2 now or wait for new model (gl3?)

Dylan Johns
June 25th, 2005, 02:24 AM
how long off is the gl3? i'm close to buying the gl2 but its quiet an old camera and am wondering if i should wait for the next model

Patrick Pike
June 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
how long off is the gl3? i'm close to buying the gl2 but its quiet an old camera and am wondering if i should wait for the next model

Another option is to wait until the next version arrives and pick up used GL-2's - I know mine will all be for sale!

But seriously, it sounds like the biggest improvement will be the HDV. Thats a pretty major thing, so figure out if it is worth it for you or not.

Mathieu Ghekiere
June 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM
The question is: do you need a cam now?
I think the GL2 is a very nice cam, and I don't know if the GL3 is very long off or not, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, Canon doesn't really anounce things.
With an 'old' cam like the GL2 you still get the same nice results other people have in the past.

I don't know, I think the main question is: do you need one now?

Marco Leavitt
June 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM
I've been waiting for the GL3 as well, and to tell you the truth, I'm beginning to doubt that it's coming despite the end of the rebate period at the end of the month. I think we would have heard something by now. At this stage when Canon was replacing the GL1 dealers were already hearing rumors. So far, there's nothing.

Mark OBrien
June 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM
I bought the GL2 back in October because I needed a prosumer camera pretty quick (for UT film school) and couldn't afford to wait. I have been more than pleased with the results. It really is a terrific camera with amazing image quality (mostly due to the lens).

However, after upgrading to a better microphone, there isn't enough left to upgrade the camera with. By this I mean the actual camera. Wide/telephoto lens adapters are just about it.

I don't regret the purchase but I do find myself wanting a more versatile camera, like the DVX-100A (which has the most camera upgrades I have ever seen, 24p, etc.) or the XL2 (interchangeable lens, 24p, etc).

The GL2 will reach hit its ceiling pretty quick whereas these others would allow for more expansion in the future.

If you can afford either of those cameras, do it. I make short films and found those to be better suited for it.

If you are limited by budget or perhaps pressed for time, the GL2 is still a FANTASTIC camera. And with the money you save on the camera itself, you can afford a professionsal mike, tripod, lighting, etc.

Tommy James
June 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I don't care what anyone thinks but The fact is that standard definition is dying and all its good years were in the past. So if the GL3 supports high definition it is worth the wait. Cannon is part of the HDV consortium so they will support high definition sooner or later.

Mathieu Ghekiere
June 29th, 2005, 04:00 AM
SD isn't dying.
Most people still watch SD, many features were shot on SD and prooved to be good enough.
HD is great, but most people don't have it yet.

Don Palomaki
June 29th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Buy a camcorder a 4-6 weeks before you need it. That gives some time to learn how to use it, and recover if there are problems.

It usually takes on the order of 6-8 weeks after product announcement for stock to reach dealers, and several more months for street prices to drop much below list as the "gotta have the first on the block" folks buy the new models at near list price.

Canon's history on their better camcorders is typically a 3 year product life. When the GL2 gets to roughly 3 years old, a replacement becomes likely) but not assured).

SD TV will be around for a while longer, HD and even 16x9 sets are still too pricey for many folks. Consider that it has taken years for DVD to replace VHS as the primary distribution media, and in some communities event videographers are still shooting/editing in Hi8 and S-VHS. However, look to your market/customer base and see what they are using. Let your business needs be your guide as to when to go HD.