View Full Version : Converting HDV-DVCPro50

Svein Rune Skilnand
November 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Hi.
I am just finishing a documentary that has been shot mostly with the JVC GY-HD201 in 720p50. Other formats as HDV1080i and ProRes has been used as well, and it ended up being edited in an HDV 720p50 timeline.

The result looks good. I now need to deliever the final master as a DVCPro 50 file. Does anyone have any good suggestions how to do this and get the best quality? It will be delievered on a hard drive.

I thought about using Media Manager in FCP and just hand the post production company the project with all the files and let them downconvert it on the fly through a Decklink card. But I am not sure how to do this. I did check it out, but got scared once I saw the checkbox that says Delete unused files.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Svein Rune

Shaun Roemich
November 12th, 2009, 02:21 PM
If you need to deliver a DVPro50 FILE (and not on tape), I would export your finished timeline as one clip using the Export function of FCP, import that clip into a new DVCPro50 timeline in FCP, render and Export THAT clip as Self Contained from FCP.

Svein Rune Skilnand
November 12th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your input, Shaun.

When you say export the timeline as one clip, I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean to export the timleine as an HDV- file, since that is my editing timeline, and then bring that file into a DVCPro50 timeline?

Robert Lane
November 12th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Svein,

You should consult first with the production company that is requesting the DV50 file and make sure they are capable of handling a FCP project - and make sure they have the same version of FCP so there are no compatibility issues.

With respect to converting your HD timeline to SD DV50 (DVCPRO-50) whether it's NTSC or PAL you should do it in Compressor, not exporting it directly from the timeline in that codec. The reason is that you have no control over the conversion and down-scaling processes required to take HD down to SD resolution (you're going from more pixels/bigger canvas to less pixels/smaller canvas) when exporting from the timeline, whereas Compressor will give you full control and ultimately better quality.

Also, if you export and convert from HD to SD directly from the timeline you'll have to flag the timeline as "anamorphic" otherwise your downconverted SD file won't have the correct aspect ratio and will have to be converted again in either the player or the receiving timeline.

Shaun Roemich
November 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
You should consult first with the production company that is requesting the DV50 file and make sure they are capable of handling a FCP project - and make sure they have the same version of FCP so there are no compatibility issues.

He would be sending a FILE, not a project so as long as the production company has the correct CODEC support, it wouldn't make a difference what version of FCP they are running.

Robert Lane
November 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
From his original post:

"I thought about using Media Manager in FCP and just hand the post production company the project with all the files..."

That's why I mentioned the FCP compatibility.

Shaun Roemich
November 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I love completeness! Good call Robert. I was going based on:

I now need to deliever the final master as a DVCPro 50 file.