View Full Version : VariZoom VZRockPZFI Rocker Controller

Robert Turchick
November 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Anyone using this on an HMC-150? Plan on having a "studio-ish" setup for certain projects and wondered how this piece works in the real world.

Denny Lajeunesse
November 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I have one and am addicted to it.

I just wish the focus knob was about twice the diameter for easier pulls. It can be a bit touchy at the stock size.

Also, I flip it side ways on the tripod arm so that the side of my thumb rests on the zoom control. Easier on the thumb muscles that way!

Robert Turchick
November 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks! I was kinda wondering about the smoothness.

Denny Lajeunesse
November 27th, 2009, 03:27 AM
If you wear gloves while outdoor cold weather shooting you will find the rec button can be a bit tricky to hit. It's fairly small. I recommend fishing gloves (the ones with the fingertips missing). In fact they are useful for hitting button on the camera as well.

Robert Turchick
November 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
HeHe! Shouldn't be a problem here in AZ!
Thanksgiving was spent outside in shorts and a t-shirt as it was a chilly 80 deg!
Thanks for the heads up though!

Robert Turchick
December 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Just got it and only have one gripe but I understand why it does this. The focus is very sensitive at the extremes. I thought it was a glitch but watching the numbers I was able to "slow down" my thumb and now it's fine! Oh! Took me a bit to realize that you have to turn off the auto iris in a menu on the camera to get it to work. Can't wait to assemble the whole rig (SmallHD DP1, Sennheiser wireless, and Varizoom) for a shoot next week! Then a gig next month on a 12 foot jib with remote head!! Wooohooo!!

Denny Lajeunesse
December 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Just got it and only have one gripe but I understand why it does this. The focus is very sensitive at the extremes. I thought it was a glitch but watching the numbers I was able to "slow down" my thumb and now it's fine! Oh! Took me a bit to realize that you have to turn off the auto iris in a menu on the camera to get it to work. Can't wait to assemble the whole rig (SmallHD DP1, Sennheiser wireless, and Varizoom) for a shoot next week! Then a gig next month on a 12 foot jib with remote head!! Wooohooo!!

Really? I don't have to turn off any iris settings in the menus. Wait. You don't have your full auto switch on do you?? (On the side of the cam).

Also, contary to how the HVX worked. The HMC doesn't care if your focus switch on camera is set to manual or auto, once you plug in the wires it overrides the setting.

Make sure you give the connectors a good push. You may think they are fully in the back of the cam but they may not be. You should hear a click.

Robert Turchick
December 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
yup...with the full auto/manual switch set to manual the varizoom does nothing. switch it to auto (as per instructions...albeit for the 100b/200) and it works fine. I did hear the click when I pushed in the cables.

Denny Lajeunesse
December 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Odd, I have used my focus when the cam switch was on manual and have used it set to auto.

Noam Osband
July 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm looking at the Varizoom VZRock and the VZPro: VariZoom VZ Pro-PZFI Zoom/Focus/Iris Controller VZ-PRO-PZFI B&H

What is the difference between the two?

David Sheneman
July 21st, 2011, 08:07 AM
Any idea if you can actually plug two of these into the same camera using a headphone splitter cable? I'd like my camera operators to have local control, but also to be able to remote the Iris in a studio so I can use it as a poor man's CCU.