View Full Version : Miller Arrow 25 with Carbon Sticks

Paul Cronin
December 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Has anyone tried this setup Miller Arrow 25 with the following sticks. I am looking for the new Sony PMW-350. And the stick are the :Solo: SOLO ENG 3 Stage 100mm Carbon Fibre Tripod (1505) - Miller Camera Support (http://www.millertripods.com/product_details.html?id=188) which are rated for 66lbs.

Chris you out there? Still have not made it to South Island, but it is coming.

I will be checking this setup out Thursday at Abel.

I had a Miller 55 with the same sticks for my Red One and it was great in big breeze on the rocks. Bottom spreader does not cut if for me since I use tripods on very uneven surfaces where I have to move quickly, along with studio, and nice flats of course.

Chris Soucy
December 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yep, I'm still lurking, doing my Jaws imitation, rising to the surface to give bods a bit of a nip now and again.

Miller sort of gives the game away on these sticks with the sales blurb in that link you provided.

What's parked on the setup in the piccie? Non other than a shiny, very, very, very SD Canon XL1s (I'm sure I can smell steam).

You'll notice also they are at some pains to stress the ENG capability (for which they are admirably suited) but which is still very much an SD world.

Granted, the PMW - 350 in dongle driven SD mode and a set of those sticks would be an ENG operatives "must have" combination.

Remove that dongle and go into full HD mode and I think I'll keep my FiberTec's, thanks all the same.

However, if your workload is primarilly SD and is likely to remain so for quite some time, hey, why not - nice combination.

CS

Paul Cronin
December 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Good to hear you are still giving the bods a bit of a nip.

All HD for me I will not shoot SD so the FiberTech sound like a good choice. Are you talking these: Vinten | 3498-3 ENG/EFP 2-Stage Fibertec Tripod Legs | 34983 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/276287-REG/Vinten_34983_3498_3_ENG_EFP_2_Stage_Fibertec.html)

What do you think of the Miller Arrow 25 head?

They are both 100mm so I hope they would fit.

Paul Inglis
December 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Paul,

I am using an Arrow 55 with a mid-spreader in order to get low shots. Never tried a bottom spreader though. I think the Miller CF tripods are great and thinking a getting a 25 myself as it is a bit lighter to carry when I'm not using long lens!

Paul Cronin
December 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks Paul,

I sold my Miller 55 (mistake) but I don't think I need that big of a head for the PMW-350 which is light 14lbs with lens, viewfinder, mic, and batt. A few more pounds but I don't think more then 20 lbs with a couple of extras.

The Arrow 25 should work but I will check it out tomorrow. Also I will check out the Fiber Tech sticks on Chris recommendation.

Paul what is the heaviest camera and longest lens you use on the 55?

Paul Inglis
December 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I use the 55 simply because its very windy here and it's a right chunky set of stick with a head to match as you know. The mid-spreader is great! I use it with my EX-3 and a Nikon 600mm or 200-400mm supported with the RRS Telephoto rails, with mics and so forth. At times have 20kgs sitting on the 55!

It too OTT for just an EX-3 and have a Manfrotto Roadrunner for work that doesn't entail my long lenses but its cumbersome to use. So I might get the 25 as it looks to be a good replacement.

Mind you I quite like the look of the Sachtler DV12 SB SL MCF

Paul Cronin
December 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Paul,

Good advice as Chris keeps telling me get a beast and you will be happy. I also have 15% of my shooting when on the tripod in windy conditions.

Chris Soucy
December 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well, I'll be.

I did a quick scrute of B&H the other day and found no evidence of the FiberTec's to be found and assumed they'd finally run out of stock.

I don't know where they're hiding them as they don't appear in the Vinten stick list, tho' using the B&H search does indeed return the entry for them, with my rather truncated review to boot.

Amazing.

Well, Paul, if you are indeed considering a set of FiberTec's and have the ponies to spend (with the sticks and SpreadLoc mid level spreader alone near the $3K mark!) you would be advised to check out the Vinten Vision 5 or 8 AS heads with your chosen rig as well.

The beauty of them is that the "perfect balance" system does exactly what it says on the tin and the new "side load" plate is an absolute dream.

Having never used a Miller I wouldn't dream of saying one is vastly superior to the other, but I can say that the FiberTec's married to the appropriate VV AS head for your rig weight is truly something to behold and in my personal opinion the best camera support system in the under 60 pounds category ever made.

(Even if they are, $ per pound, somewhere near a Saturn 5 lunar launcher!)

But then, I'm seriously biased.

Check them out and see what you think.

CS

Paul Cronin
December 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well my taste went up after trying different tripods. I do like the Miller 55 but I really liked the Sachtler System Video 20 SB HD MCF Tripod System

Paul Cronin
December 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Chris I did not have a chance to see the Vinten Vision 5 or 8 AS heads since no one had them on their floor. I did try a Vinten 3, I think that was the model and it was very smooth. So far as I said the Sachtler System Video 20 seemed smoothest in this load capacity but the Miller 55 is very close at a lot less money.

Mid level spreader will also be need since the straight Miller heavy duty CF sticks are nice but cutting the span in half with a spreader will greatly increase stability.

Paul Cronin
December 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Chris,

Just found out my new camera will arrive next week. So time to jump on the pony and get the tripod.

Which Fiber Tech sticks?
I have found the Vinten 3498-3 100mm bowl. Is this the one?

Still not decided on head yet. Like the 8AS but looking at the Studio 20 and Miller 55 also.

Paul Cronin
December 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Chris I have talked with Vinten in the US and they have some Fibertech sticks in stock. The product has been discontinued and I have had no response from B&H. The person I talked to at Vinten US was not sure why the product was discontinued.

Anyway they have some with spare parts for future repairs.

They are not sure the Miller 55 or other heads will fit. You recommended the 8AS and that seems light. The 10AS also seems light. I know all heads are not rated the same and Vinten has an excellent rating. I just want to make sure I don’t have great sticks on the windy shoots and wish I had a better fluid head.

Ordering this week so I can put the PMW-350 to work and start paying its bills.

Advice appreciated.

Paul Cronin
December 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Check it out Chris this is my fifth post since yours last one you need to join me for a bit of holiday grog and celebrate.

I took your advice and placed my order today:

Vinten 3498-3 ENG/EFP Carbon Fiber 2-Stage Fibertec Tripod Legs (100mm Bowl)
Vinten Spread-Loc Mid-Level Spreader c/w set of 3 carpet feet
Vinten Vision 100 Head w. QR/Pan Arm - 100mm Ball

Should be a nice setup for my Sony PMW-350 with long lenses in the wind and of course all other applications.

Thank you for all of your help this time and last year when I was also looking. Your reviews are very convincing. Also talking with Vinten and Abel Cine Tech where I purchased they say this is the Lamborghini system for my camera. When at their shop the 6as seemed very smooth and the 100 Vision is rated a lot higher.