View Full Version : xdcam ex "unsupported" error message

John Godwin
January 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
This is using FCP Log & Transfer on a new iMac. I use it all the time on my Mac Pro tower and two different mac pro laptops.

Here's the message:

Warning: contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

I get this message when I try to open any of the many xdcam ex BPAV sub-folders on the drive. I tried opening one of the BPAV folders directly from a card and get the same message.

Now, I can open any of these in clip browser or the xdcam transfer program, or by opening the "import" xdcam transfer program (although that won't load the thumbnails). I can use the "import" xdcam transfer to get clips in if necessary.

This is on a new iMac, running OS X 10.6.2, FCP 7. I think I have the latest versions of log & transfer and such.

It's late here and I hope I get a couple of clues to the right direction when I come back in the morning, and thanks.

Best,
John

Robert Lane
January 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
If you need an answer fast try posting the question in one of the XDCAM forums where other camera owners probably have that answer right away:

Sony XDCAM Camera Systems Forum at DVinfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-camera-systems/)

John Godwin
January 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Robert,

I go there regularly ... I was thinking this is a mac thing. I did a google search last night and it seems other people have this problem with macs, some of the time, particularly with snow leopard, but not always, and that it might be an sony driver problem.

And an additional note - the exact same drive works normally with my mac pro tower or laptops, so it is something specific to the imac and/or software.

Robert Lane
January 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I hate to say it, but based on the plethora of threads coming forth since last fall it seems working with XDCAM or HDV in FCP is becoming increasingly difficult rather than easier since Snow Leopard's release. I can only hope that by the time the next FCS version is released this is all worked out.

PP and M100 have had a few small bugs to work out with similar workflows but not nearly as many as Apple's own software. ugh.

John Godwin
January 9th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I did post on the xdcam ex forum and got a solution that worked for me. I'm not sure how to post a link here, but the topic is "Problems with log and transfer on an imac".

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/470646-problems-log-transfer-imac.html#post1470083

Thanks,
John

Okay, so that's how you post links....