View Full Version : Compressor Rendering

Alex Diaz
January 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, looking for a bit of help, google searches are only bringing up results for air compressors heh...

Compressor keeps converting my file to a black screen with flashing, random, green horizontal lines.

My workflow is as follows...
Edit in HDV (fcs2)
Export to Quicktime Mov (same settings)
Compressor to 90 min best pass DVD
Add asset to DVD studio pro.
Profit

I've made dvd's like this for a while now, without any issue.
Before FCS2 i could just send it straight to Compressor and skip exporting to Mov, but since I upgraded it would freeze anytime I tried that.

Robert Lane
January 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Technically speaking that's the correct workflow but it sounds as if you've either got project or software corruption somewhere.

As I always say, the best thing to do is take care of system maintenance first and see how things end up after. Download and run Onyx (make sure it's the right version for your OS) - run ALL the cleaning and maintenance routines.

If you have DiskWarrior run that as well. (If you don't have a copy, get one - highly recommended).

Once you've cleaned up your system do the following:

Go into the Render Manager in FCP and delete all the render files associated with this current project. Fully re-render the sequence. Export just a 10-second portion of the sequence and then use Compressor again to see what you get.

If you're still getting weirdness then create a new FCP project called "TEST" with a new sequence that matches the sequence settings you're currently editing in. Copy and paste the problem sequence INTO the new TEST sequence in the new project. Re-render another 10-second clip and send to Compressor.

You could also download and try Digital Rebellions Final Cut Maintenance Pack which has several repair routines for both FCP and Compressor. There is a 15-day trial which would give you enough functionality to see if it can get you fixed up.

If you're still getting goofy results after all that then it's time for a trip to the Genius Bar as you might either have software corruption or, a hardware problem.