View Full Version : Missing audio when importing from Beta SP...

Nicholas Tran
January 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hey guys,

Forgive me, but I'm not yet great with the Beta SP thing...
But here's my situation-

I am importing into Final Cut from my Betacam SP PVW-2800 and can't figure out why I'm capturing picture with no audio.

I'm using a AJA IO and my capture settings are:

Sequence Preset: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) NTSC 48kHz
Capture Preset: Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) SD Res
Device Control Preset: AJA Io LA RS-422 NTSC
Playback Output Video: ProIO - NTSC US - Component YPbPr Betacam 525 - 8-bit 422
(720 x 486)
Playback Output Audio: Default
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Video: Same as Playback
Edit to Tape/PTV Output Audio: Same as Playback

I have a feeling the solution may be simple, but I'm fairly new with all the analog equipment and learning quick so any help would be great.

Thanks!

William Hohauser
January 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Check the AJA setup application (forgot it's name) and make sure you have the correct input selected for the audio.

Nicholas Tran
January 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
The audio is set to analog, which is correct. It's actually set on the default setup, which hasn't been changed. It has worked for other tapes in the past, I assume.

Hmmm... I must be overlooking something.

Shaun Roemich
January 14th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Are the meters moving on the 2800?

If memory serves correctly, the 2800 has switches on the XLR output jacks for line or mic level. Are these set correctly for what the AJA is expecting?

Nicholas Tran
January 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Shaun,

Yes, the levels are moving. I'm getting audio on my viewing monitor, so I would assume that the audio was functioning fine, that is, until I imported.

As far as I can tell, all switches are at what they should be.

Thanks for your time.

Shaun Roemich
January 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Are you using XLR cables from the deck to the AJA IO? Have you checked to make sure the cables are functional and haven't been damaged? Of course, if the path to the AJA is good, then it IS a setting or a hardware fault. I just like to troubleshoot in as linear a path as I can...

Mathieu Ghekiere
January 16th, 2010, 04:29 AM
You also tried to preview the files in the Finder by pressing the Spacebar? Do you have sound then?
Already tried to up the volume of the tracks?

(I know if we captured HD SDI to Apple Prores via the AJA IO HD, sometimes the audio would be much too quiet... - but not so quiet that it seems that there was no audio...)

Nicholas Tran
January 18th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Thanks. I will do a double check. I did watch it in the finder with the same result.

To Shaun- I double checked the XLR inputs and everything seems to be working fine. Like I said, I get audio on the playback monitor too so yeah, I know it has to be something in my capture settings.

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll let you know when I figure it out. It's not super pressing yet, because I'm just importing B roll that I probably won't use the audio for anyhow, it will be necessary for future use.