View Full Version : Dropped my Canon GL2 worth fixing?

Darrick Vanderwier
January 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi there everybody, long time browser first time poster. One question I have is do you think it would be worth fixing my Canon GL2 which dropped and the lens popped open. I can't seem to pop it back together but also don't want to force it and break anything. I have since moved on and bought a canon xha1s and the little guy now sits on my shelf unused. everything still works but there is now a gap in the front of the lens and the lens hood will not go back on.

bottom line. I am in Niagara Canada and need to know where I can reliably have this cam looked at but I also don't want to pay a hefty fee "just to have it looked at"
anyone out there with some suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Chris Hurd
January 31st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Upon receiving the camera, Canon Service will contact you with a repair estimate.

Darrick Vanderwier
February 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks Chris...
I will have to look up the closest cannon and hope for the best I guess....
:o)

David Barnett
February 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Are you planning on keeping it, or selling it once fixed? FWIW I just had my serviced (had 2 assembly parts replaced). $450. Just an fyi on a ballpark to prepare for.

Darrick Vanderwier
February 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
hmmmm....
Yeah I don't know anymore cause I was planning on getting a 7D to add to my XHA1S not spend that money on repairs on a 2 yr old SD camera...
I may likely not get my monies worth back on it after fixing it. This was my concern all along. How much will they charge me just to tell me "yep it's definately broken all righty"
what to do eh?
I will just send it in and get a quote that way at least if I don't get it fixed I can list it as (as is condition) "x" amount to repair it yourself....

Matthew Craggs
February 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hey Darrick,

When I worked for a Niagara Falls area photo store we charged $75 to send a camcorder for servicing. Then we received a quote and relayed it to the customer who then gave the yay or nay. The $75 was so charged so (as I was told) we could cover shipping and the cost it took to get a quote.

I would just contact Canon directly. They have a repair centre in Mississauga. I don't have the physical address or phone number off the top of my head, but I'm sure a quick Google search will bring up the details.

Darrick Vanderwier
February 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
thank you sir that is most helpful!

Darrick Vanderwier
February 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Canon Canada Inc.

Contact Details

Address: 6390 Dixie Road
Mississauga L5T 1P7
Canada
Detailed country information for Canada

Telephone: 905 795 1111
Fax: 905 795 2140
International Dialling Code: +1

for anyone else out there that came by this thread through a similar search here is the info.....

Andrew Khalil
February 9th, 2010, 05:34 PM
you don't have to ship it though - if you live close enough you can just drop off the Camera at Canon for them to look at/repair. Niagara Falls isn't terribly far depending on how much shipping would be.