View Full Version : Low Light/No Light Filming...

Andrew M. King
February 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Okay I have an HDV-hd1000. I do recognize that it is one CMOS, and therefore not the best for what I am planning on using if for, however it is what I have and I cannot afford to buy or rent anything at this time. Therefore, please only suggest options relevant to this camera, not "you need to get camera xyz."

I am planning on filming a horror short this spring with some friends. The entire movie is to be set at night. I've tried to find information about night filming with digital online, but I'm having little luck. I have a few specific questions:

If I film at night, obviously I will need lighting especially with my particular camera, any suggestions? I still want it to LOOK like nighttime, but my subjects also, clearly, need to be seen. Can I film during the day, and either use some kind of filter to make it appear like a night time scene, or is there a way to do this is post? Finally, I have a scene that revolves around a campfire. What is the best, most natural way to film this scene and capture the unique fireglow while not getting "grainy" from too little light.

I'm very new to filming, and I'm searching for all the books and answers I can, so any help or direction would be forever appreciated!

PS: Any book suggestions that are readily found in a local library would also be great!

Richard Miller
February 25th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Hollywood's Dark Secret: Shooting Day for Night (http://www.videomaker.com/article/8150/)

not sure if this will help...