View Full Version : What is this panavised HD camera.

Brendan Sundry
July 11th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Hello forum,

I have heard of this panavised verison of the f900, but what exactly is it?And how different/expensive is it from the normal version.

And Do they make on for the Varicam i wonder.

Another quickie.

When HD cams are in their next generations with more pixels, will they still downconvert to todays HDTV standards.

Brendan Sundry

Rainer Hoffmann
July 12th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I have heard of this panavised verison of the f900, but what exactly is it?And how different/expensive is it from the normal version.

As far as I know you can attach Panavision lenses to the "panavised" version of the F900. May be, there are more differences as compared to the stock version, but I don't know.

If Panavision sticks to their policy you can't buy a Panavision camera, you can only rent them. It may be different for the F900 though.

When HD cams are in their next generations with more pixels, will they still downconvert to todays HDTV standards.

Well, I guess there will be two breeds of High Definition cams in the future: those with a 4K (or even 8K ?) resolution intended for big screen productions and those aiming at TV productions with HDTV resolution.

Then again, I may be completely wrong.

Charles Papert
July 12th, 2005, 04:10 PM
The Panavised F900 has a number of internal and external modifications to go along with their own line of HD lenses which were built for this camera. Here's a link that describes the mods:

Click here (http://www.panavision.com/product_detail.php?maincat=1&cat=36&id=100&node=c0,c203,c204)

As a rental item, it is a comparable system to a standard F900 that is similarly equipped. I like to rent from Clairmont Camera as they have done their own set of mods to the camera:

Click here (http://www.clairmont.com/hot_new/f-900_camera_add_info.html)

The Varicam has not undergone the same type of modification by either company. As a "lower end" system, it tends to be used somewhat stock with accessories added.

Brendan Sundry
July 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Thankyou for clearing this up for me, im trying to get behind the 8 ball before the genisis comes in, and I am also interested in the history as well, 97 is a long time ago now!