View Full Version : Line In audio recording while videotaping on GL2

Tim Lanza
April 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi. I did a search of the forum and didn't find any info that worked for my situation, so I'm hoping to get some guidance.

I have a 16MM film projector and am using my GL2 to videotape sound home movies. The video part is no problem, but I am trying to record audio directly out from the projector. The projector has a 1/4" speaker female jack and I have a 1/4" male jack that splits to two RCA female jacks. I know I get an audio signal using this, as I normally have it hooked up to a tuner/receiver amp and then out to speakers.

I've tried using the this splitter connected to the STV-250N Stereo Video Cable that comes with the camera directly in to the AV In jack and the MIC jack. Plugging into the AV In has no effect, but I understand that is to be expected. Plugging it into the MIC jack seems to cut all sound (at least judging from the audio level bars), but I don't seem to be able to get a signal. I've also tried going from the projector into my tuner/receiver and then out to the camera, thinking that using the amp might be important. No luck.

Am I using the wrong cables? Is there a setting I am not using?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Tim

Jeff Pulera
April 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hi Tim,

I use the Sony VX-2000 camcorders and they have a little "Line/Mic" switch by the mic jack. The audio coming out of a tuner, VCR, DVD player, or your projector is typically what is called "Line Level" audio, so you need to get to Radio Shack and pick up an "Attenuator" which will reduce line level to mic level. This is a plug that goes in-line in your cabling. Or maybe your camera has a switch (or menu setting) to accept line level audio.

I've not seen a camcorder that will take audio in through the audio jacks while recording through the camera head, you typically have to use the mic jack for any external audio source. Also, it may help if all cabling is mono, stereo jacks may not be getting the signal to the right pins.

If your camera cable has 3 segments on the pin, this is for stereo audio AND video and is not going to work into a mic jack, is for AV output only.

Jeff Pulera

Greg Donovan
April 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I would use a 1/4inch to 1/8inch adapter (often used to use headphones on A/V recievers) and use a 1/8inch male-male cable running to the MIC jack on side of the GL2.

Try with the mic attenuator on and with it off, to access it go to the menu (while in rec mode) -> VCR settings and to "Mic Att."

Greg

Richard Amirault
April 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Folks the output on that 16mm projector is *not* "line level" ... it's designed to connect to speakers, not another electronic device. So the level is *way* higher than "line level".

You might be alble to fudge it by turning down the volume control on the projector.

Don Palomaki
April 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Many older electronic devices like projectors with sound have a high noise floor. You may be better off having the projector volume turned up, and using an attenuator (e.g., a "direct box") to reduce the overall level and provide an isolated feed to the camcorder. Need to do some experimentation to find what works best.