View Full Version : Any reports on the durability of this camera?

Chris Hamilton
April 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
After using Canon XL1's for over a decade I just ordered my first HD camera, an HD1000U. It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out.

Now that its been out on the market for a while, do any of you have stories of whether this camera is durable or not? I do almost all of my filming on boats and outdoors. My cameras always have rain jackets on, but they are used about 10hrs per day, 7 days per week, rain or shine, mostly by semi-professional videographers. Plainly said, they get well used. The XL1's held up remarkalby well (occasional broken eye-piece arms, fogged lenses, clogged heads, etc.) but, with annual servicing, i'm still using at least one camera from 1999.

The DV1000U seems perfect for my purposes. I need shoulder mount (for stability on the boats and to impress clients), and I don't need the highest quality footage money can buy, and I want to use cameras that don't cost a fortune (I need 6 of them).

I look forward to hearing your responses, thanks!

Chris

Hamish Reid
April 15th, 2010, 09:30 PM
[Argh -- deleted the post 'coz I misread the model -- sorry... -- HR].

Kren Barnes
April 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM
we've shot about 30+ weddings with 2 of these cameras and my partner insists that he doesn't need a case for his camera, carrying it around everywhere with no problem ..so far his is in better shape than mine which is stored in a case..