View Full Version : Sony HVR1000U, Final Cut Pro 7 and BM Intensity HDMI Card

Johnnie Caraballo
May 15th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading to FCP7 but I have a question on what is the best workflow for my set up.

I noticed using the the Firewire from my Sony Camera gives me far less clarity than using the software from Blackmagic via HDMI.

The problem I see is that when I use the FW from the Sony Camera some times the picture quality just doesn't seem "HD" at all. It only gets worse once made into a DVD - you would swear I was watching VHS.

If I keep Apple Software out of the picture and just use the software from BlackMagic the imported Video is just as stunning as looking at my Plasma TV with the Sony Camera plugged into it.

Why is it that I can't seem to get that clarity via FW and have to use BM software?
I feel that my workflow is a bit odd in that I have to use BM software that creates a HUGE (but gorgeous) .MOV file that is super sharp and clear (like HD should be) only then to take that HUGE file and then import that into FCP or iMovie (for a quickie).

Whats wrong with this picture? Shouldn't I be able to just plug in my HDMI to the BMIC and FCP7 see this footage? Seems like allot of extra steps!

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Stephen Hughes
May 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Hi got the same cam, use adobe premier elements 8 and sony vegas pro 9, normal firewire from cam to computor, hd monitor. Burns to dvd disc blue ray one lovely, picture looks great on hd tv, but had to buy a new blue ray player to view the dvd as i was not getting the right picture, all was ok when i did this.

Jay West
August 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I don't have either FCP or the HVR1000u, but I have other Sony cams and the kind of problems you've described sounds like you might have "iLinkConv" as set to "on." This setting automatically converts your HDV tapes to SD. Go into the standard set menu and make sure that iLink Conv is off.

Noel Lising
August 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I have the same camera but I never had that issue. Adobe Premiere elements 8 captures it as an MPEG file. Except for not doing automatic scene detect, I can't complain about the quality. Are your capture settings the same as what mode you shoot in (1080i 30fps)? I have yet to burn a DVD but I did export to wmv and I can't complain about the quality either.

PS. I use FW too.

Jay West
August 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Maybe I was not clear. I was referring to the "standard set" menu in the Sony Cams not to something in FCP. You can record to tape in HDV 1080i but, if you have the iLink Conv set to on, the video comes out of the firewire port as SD 480. I suggested this as something for Johnnie to check on his camera.

Peter Rooney
August 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Well I'm using hdmi from my HVR V1E to my HDTV for live previews and it's crystal clear, stunning. I'm also using a simple DVI to HDMI cable from my macpro to my HDTV to preview my HD timeline from Final Cut Pro. Makes more sense than buying hardware cards, I'm not broadcasting anything as my product is destined for DVD or Bluray all being played on consumer HDTVs. Thought this might shed a bit of light on it for you.
peter