View Full Version : Need a good concert camera (consumer)

Jason Lowe
May 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Going to several concerts this summer/fall, and since bands have finally lightened up on in-concert photography, I'd like to get a small point-and-shoot pocket rocket to take concert pics. The iPhone is completely worthless for this purpose, giving me a yield of exactly one good pic per show so far.

I'd like one of those really thin cameras that would slip into a shirt pocket. Manual controls aren't necessarily, but I would imagine low light and image stabilization would be prime.

I'd like to take pics like this:

Trans Siberian Orchestra on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/huskerland/4246335476/)

I've seen several different pics on flickr with different cameras, many of which are older and out of production. I thought this group might have some good suggestions.

Robert Lane
May 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I've used and recommend the Canon G11; great low-light/low noise characteristics. The articulated LCD also makes over-the-head shots a breeze.

The S90 uses the same chip/imaging engine but lacks the swiveling LCD and loses some manual functions.

Also pricey but makes amazing images is the Sigma DP2s; far and away the Foveon sensor makes for superior images to every other digi-cam out there, unfortunately it's slower than the Canon and lacks a zoom lens but is one of the most under-rated pocket-cams ever.

Outside of those two it's a crap-shoot; any other camera/brand will have nearly exacting specs and performance within it's category/price-range.

Don Blish
June 22nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
I've replaced carrying DSLR and videocam with these tiny mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras. With kit lens its very inconspicuous. With power zoom and voice coil Vibration Reduction, the 10-100 PD lens is fantastic for regular use, hand held or on tripod/monopod. I just fitted the FT1 adaptor to use Nikon F glass and the small 55-300 gives a full-frame equiv of 150-810mm. Focus is the fastest on the planet with on-chip phase detect autofocus.

Dave Blackhurst
June 29th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Might be worth a look at the Sony RX100 and the just announced RX100 MkII - really IS a shirt pocket camera, but a powerhouse for it's size. Expensive, and somewhat limited in zoom range (although the clear zoom will get you to 200mm equiv) but the image quality is there.