View Full Version : Time to start talking about the DN-60

Gavin Owens
June 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hello to all,
I thought it would be a good idea to start talking about the Datavideo DN-60 as it has been on the market for a few weeks and is causing problems.
I had planned to use it in conjunction with the JVC GY-HD201E and on paper it seemed that it would be a cost effective solid state solution. So far, it doesn't work.
Firstly, despite the DN-60 registering timecode and effectively been triggered by the camera, the unit will not record any media to the CF card (I am using Transend 16gb 400X udma cards).
Also, the seems to be a few missing menu options like "Mark shot" but that might be down to the fact that I'm not recording media.
The battery life is pointless no matter what quality AA's you put in it. It will need a D-Tap (or other power supply) solution to function in a ENG of EFP environment.
I purchased the unit from Proactive video in the UK and because of the newness of this product they didn't have much in the way of solutions for my problems. They did, however suggest that I contact Holdan.co.uk who are the uk importers of this product. I did and the rep there told me that he is waiting for more info from Datavideo as quite a few have had similar problems. He did say that there hasn't been any issues with Sony or Panasonic cameras so it might be the just the JVC's..... (I remember vaguely that JVC ProHD cameras deliver a split A/V signal through the firewire port but I could be wrong).
Anyway, I hope this info helps as there is very little on these CF recorders and I'll keep the forum posted on how things go. Also, if anyone has had good experiences then chime in and let us know your view.
Gavin

Peter D. Parker
June 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info Gavin.

I was thinking of getting one from a UK dealer and he said that they were waiting for the latest model which has a firmware upgrade.

I'm going to contact Holdans and see what they say.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Peter

Anthony Mozora
June 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I have allready bought one for my Canon XHA1 and I have used it twice .

That firmare update is for capturing HDV in Quicktime files cause now is only .m2t

You can ask me what ever you want about it ;D

I bought a transend 32gb 400x CF card and it works with DN-60 great! (Transend are not listed in the manual for certified compact flash cards)

this thing makes your life easier :)

At the first time I worked with it I used SYNCRO TO TAPE fuction , when the tape ended the dn-60 stoped recording also

The second time i used it was NO-SYNCRO TO TAPE fuctIon and I think I will only work with this fuction from now on. When the tape ended the DN-60 was still capturing video :)

I have to mention that when i was testing it when I unboxed it was with out tape at all and still works great!

one BIG plus for DN-60 vs his opponents is that its works with 4 AA batteries and they are really can take u up to 2,5 hours of capturing!

another + its the weight of the item , is really very light!

THE ONLY negative that I found Until NOW is that after the Recording IS FINISH you have to go to a fuction inside the DN-60 menu and MAKE MEDIA FILES so the pc can READ the CF CARD, in the manual says that u only have to do this one but I had to do it several times till THE PC finds all the RECORDED FILES!!!!!!!!

I will upload fotos from my camera and the DN-60 if anybody ask for it :)

Gavin Owens
June 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM
So it works fine with the Canons also.......
I wonder why the JVC signal path are so troublesome?
Thanks for the info Anthony, I'm with you about the light wight aspect of the unit but on a full days shoot, the amount of AA batteries you'll have to bring will trebble the weight or more.
I'm still waiting to hear from Holdan about the new firmware.
Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Owens
June 21st, 2010, 11:07 AM
There is a new version of the firmware out.
It's version 1.08.
The following is a list of bug fixes and additions

RBF Number: 12 (new_dn60_12b.rbf)
File System Number: 08

!!!Caution!!!
Please use CF card less than 64GB to do firmware upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------
Bug Fix
1. Incorrect file type displayed in System Status Page
2. DVCPro 50 24P Quicktime "Bad Public Atom" error
3. Fix frm check error during Pretrigger record
4. Fix frm check error with signal feeded from consumer DV cam.
(missing 2nd '3F' DIF block in subcode area)
5. Fix problem to resume play from pause when clip is less than 8 sec
6. Fix problem of missing marker when resume record after record stop (in same bin)
7. Battery indicator occasionally stays in low level after power up
8. Fix bad timecode display when play stop (with EXTERNAL TIMECODE selected)
9. Fix issue when use 64GB or above CF card to upgrade firmware
10. Change display message:
a. "(C) DataVideo SV " => " Datavideo "
b. "DV5" => "D50"

New Feature
1. Restore DN60 cartridge format to the format stored on CF card
2. Take out "Set Record Date" menu selection from Host FW
3. Change Menu selection UI under TOOL and SETUP
a. menu never gets back to previous level unless user choose EXIT
b. cursor position is memorized
4. When formating media, FAT32 Volume ID was added.

Known Issue
1. Accuracy for Energizer Alkaline battery
2. 32K DV audio was not supported. If feed 32K audio would
generate video with corrupt audio in AVI and MOV
_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sad to say that it didn't sort out my problem.......
If there is anyone out there that has a JVC ProHD camera and is using the DN-60 then I'd be very grateful if you could get in touch and help me out before I send the unit back to the vendor.
It's a pity though as it seemed like it was a perfect match as other recording options for this camera are crazy money and the camera only has a year or two left in it at best to justify the focus enhancements prices.
Cheers
Gavin

Panagiotis Raris
June 22nd, 2010, 02:30 AM
I have allready bought one for my Canon XHA1 and I have used it twice .

That firmare update is for capturing HDV in Quicktime files cause now is only .m2t

You can ask me what ever you want about it ;D

I bought a transend 32gb 400x CF card and it works with DN-60 great! (Transend are not listed in the manual for certified compact flash cards)

this thing makes your life easier :)

At the first time I worked with it I used SYNCRO TO TAPE fuction , when the tape ended the dn-60 stoped recording also

The second time i used it was NO-SYNCRO TO TAPE fuctIon and I think I will only work with this fuction from now on. When the tape ended the DN-60 was still capturing video :)

I have to mention that when i was testing it when I unboxed it was with out tape at all and still works great!

one BIG plus for DN-60 vs his opponents is that its works with 4 AA batteries and they are really can take u up to 2,5 hours of capturing!

another + its the weight of the item , is really very light!

THE ONLY negative that I found Until NOW is that after the Recording IS FINISH you have to go to a fuction inside the DN-60 menu and MAKE MEDIA FILES so the pc can READ the CF CARD, in the manual says that u only have to do this one but I had to do it several times till THE PC finds all the RECORDED FILES!!!!!!!!

I will upload fotos from my camera and the DN-60 if anybody ask for it :)

good to know it is XHA1 tested; i purchased one last week but alas there is a delay from the manufacturer. any other oddities you experienced, could you explain the 'make media files' a bit more clearly? i would love to see some pictures as well.

Rene Brunken
June 22nd, 2010, 06:19 AM
I have trouble in using the dn-60 on the XH-A1.
Scenesplitting doesn't work correctly.
On the beginning and ending of each scene there are bad frames.
Also the last 12 frames of a scene contain images from the next scene.
Any body seen similiar behavior?

Another problem is formatiing of one of the 2 32 Gb kingston CF card.
one card is functioning correct but the other can not be formatted ( takes forever ) though the card works well in the cardreader on the PC.

Gavin Owens
June 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM
good to know it is XHA1 tested; i purchased one last week but alas there is a delay from the manufacturer. any other oddities you experienced, could you explain the 'make media files' a bit more clearly? i would love to see some pictures as well.

"Make media files" is to do with the finalization of the clip. I think it might be a wrapper that allows the card reader to see the AVI or MOV file. It is essential in the process and can be found in the Tools menu of the unit.
G

Gavin Owens
June 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
I have trouble in using the dn-60 on the XH-A1.
Scenesplitting doesn't work correctly.
On the beginning and ending of each scene there are bad frames.
Any body seen similiar behavior?

Another problem is formatiing of one of the 2 32 Gb kingston CF card.
one card is functioning correct but the other can not be formatted ( takes forever ) though the card works well in the cardreader on the PC.

Have you tried the new firmware that I posted above?
It might solve your problems.......
Follow the manual instructions to carry out the firmware upgrade

Rene Brunken
June 23rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
I got an answer from tech support: the problems described have the attention of the R&D department and are working hard to solve these.
The firmware 1.08 update is no solution to my problems.

Gavin Owens
June 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Glad to know they are on it!

Anthony Mozora
June 30th, 2010, 12:00 AM
how do I add this firmware to my dn60?

Gavin Owens
July 1st, 2010, 02:01 AM
The manual has step by step instructions on how to install an update.

Roland De Schutter
July 4th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I have exactly the same problems with the DN-60 + CANON XH-A1 as Rene Brunken.
It's delivered 1 month ago , and there is still no solution for these problems.
Every clip is disturbed at the end, and keeps playing the last frames again and again,
making the clip 3 times longer as normal.
Completely unusable as it is now.

Still waiting the answer of the technical dept. Data Video.
Already implemented the new firmware , nothing helps.

Roland

Anthony Mozora
July 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I have exactly the same problems with the DN-60 + CANON XH-A1 as Rene Brunken.
It's delivered 1 month ago , and there is still no solution for these problems.
Every clip is disturbed at the end, and keeps playing the last frames again and again,
making the clip 3 times longer as normal.
Completely unusable as it is now.

Still waiting the answer of the technical dept. Data Video.
Already implemented the new firmware , nothing helps.

Roland

unfortunatly same here :(

the temporary solution for me is to transfer/capture the video from DN60 to pc like we do with tapes :(

Panagiotis Raris
July 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM
the only workaround i have found with the XH A1/DN-60 combo is to shoot bars at the beginning and end of each shot, then just cut that part out in post and go from there.

it is very frustrating however.

Panagiotis Raris
July 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
a brief update; i realized my XH A1 hadnt the latest firmware, so i updated that as well as the DN-60, rechecked that i used fast CF cards, checked all cable connections, and looked into an m2t file converter that was free, and happened to find out that the program claimed the files had, and i quote...

'one or more of the transport stream files has a bad size' claiming it was incomplete, and offered to correct it; which it did flawlessly. i can now capture, transfer, convert, edit, and deliver entirely tape free.

used in conjunction with Quicktime Alternative 1.81, Mpeg Streamclip by Squared 5 (Windows Beta version) works fine with the m2t files, and both programs are free.

Again this works with the XH A1 and DN-60, not too sure about any other cams but please try it and see if it works for you.

Kees van Duijvenbode
July 13th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Since when is it possible to update the firmware of the XHA1? Where can I download that update?
And do you use the named software to convert the .m2t files to another format? Or do you use it to capture from the DN60? Can you please explain your workflow.

Panagiotis Raris
July 14th, 2010, 01:36 AM
i asked to have the firmware updated having sent it to canon. i should have specified that. It was bought used with firmware 1.0.1.0, when i called about adding PAL friendly 50i/25F i also asked the firmware be updated. it might also be that i got the PAL/NTSC 'upgrade'/unlock, but it DID work fine before. ALSO, my XH A1 had a touchy HDV port, sometimes it would work, sometimes not, so i got that replaced as well.

my workflow is simple. i record to tape and DN-60 simultaneously, HDV M2T file format.
go to tools/make media files
I copy the file to a harddrive
i convert it to MOV (there are several other possibilities) from M2T
(windows media player claims the M2T file is an AVCHD file, its NOT. i had to uninstall quicktime pro and install the quicktime alternative 1.81 (only version that supported it)
now i have my file in MOV format, any bitrate i want, any size i want, compressed etc, you have to specify if its interlaced or progressive, the canon 'F' modes act as progressive modes. 50i/60i are obviously interlaced.
...and its off to FCP or Premiere Pro

also i really dont care for the DN-60 menu or jog controller AT ALL; getting around the menu's is a pain, but it works 100% now so thats all that matters.

Kees van Duijvenbode
July 14th, 2010, 04:39 AM
OK. Thanks for your explanation.

... also i really dont care for the DN-60 menu or jog controller AT ALL; getting around the menu's is a pain, but it works 100% now so thats all that matters.
But I guess you put your DN60 in record mode with the jog controller when you want it to record video? As we al do before we can use it?

Panagiotis Raris
July 14th, 2010, 08:28 AM
i can either put it in one of 3 modes. i have dubbed them 'sync mode', 'manual mode', and 'always-on' because its easier to understand when they actually record versus the names datavideo chose.

'sync mode', and sync to tape with it on automatic on, so whenever i hit record with a tape in, it records to BOTH tape AND CF card.

'manual mode' where it does NOT require a tape in but records direct to CF card when i press the jog controller knob.

'always-on' where the instant i turn it on (with the camera being turned on and connected via HDV/iLink/firewire) it begins recording regardless of what the camera is doing.

most of the time i have used sync mode, but all 3 work fine.

Panagiotis Raris
July 28th, 2010, 11:33 PM
New firmware Rev R9

Datavideo Technologies Co., Ltd..Service WEB Site (http://www.datavideo-service.com/technical/main.php)

Fixes the 'dropped frame' issue AKA 'one or more of the transport stream files has a bad size', as well as 'phantom scroll' issues with the command dial, among others. works 100% with Canon XH A1 NTSC, HDV modes 24F, 30F, and 60i firmware 1.0.2.0. The previously mentioned jog controller issues have been resolved, and i am satisfied using it as my sole capture device. The DN-60 now remains solely in the 'manual mode' where I choose when it starts and stops recording. the jog controller issues are totally resolved in the new firmware, and i have yet to have an issue with the 'make media files' not actually making media files, which with firmware rev. R8 i had to do 2-3 times before it would actually DO it, now it works 100% as advertised, and i leave the HDV tapes in the 'archive' bin at my office, after a weeks testing i will likely ditch HDV tapes entirely if it continues to work as it is now.

Jee van den Brink
October 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi all,
I have two Kingston ELITE cards.
One 32GB and one 16GB.

The 16GB didnt work, gave this Wrong Format Error.

I send it back to Kingston and they have send me a new one. And now it works.

Best Jee

Per Magne Handegaard
November 20th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hi! I've just got my DN-60 and everything working perfectly. I wonder though, if it is possible on the XH-A1 to automatically start recording without a tape in the camcorder. I've read something about setting the IEEE-1394 AVC command protocol, but is this possible on the XH-A1?

Panagiotis Raris
November 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM
you can set the DN-60 to automatically record on start up while connected to the XH A1.

Steve Sickman
November 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I hope this is still the right thread for this. I received my DN-60 about two weeks ago. Initial setup went fine and one of the first things I did was load the latest firmware which I'm not sure was any different than what came with my unit. My unit reports firmware revision number: DN 605011009155510. The problem I am having is starting to get really frustrating. I am using my XH-A1 with the unit set to sync to tape. Whether I record DV or HDV I seem to be able to record one or two bins accurately but then subsequent bins cannot be read on my system. I have run the make media files numerous times but this will not correct the fault with the files. The bins that have readable files are perfect. I am using two Transcend 32 GB 400x compact flash cards, and this occurs with both cards. I have never had a single problem with my Transcend cards in any of my digital photography equipment. I called Datavideo Tech Support and they are telling me that you have to use SanDisk CF cards. At this rate I have no confidence in being able to discontinue recording tape at the same time to cover myself. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Per Magne Handegaard
November 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Panagiotis, thank you for quick response. Does this mean, that if I set the DN-60 correct, it will record on power up of the camcorder. In other words, can I use the Stand by switch as a "record button"?

Ken Wozniak
December 2nd, 2010, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=In other words, can I use the Stand by switch as a "record button"?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to jump in here. The answer is "yes". If you set the DN-60 to record on start-up, you can use the stand-by switch as a record button. I just tried it with my XH-A1.

Ken Wozniak
December 2nd, 2010, 10:42 PM
I currently have a Transcend 400X 32GB card that gives me the "green frame" at the end of every clip. Other than that, the card works, but I have an uneasy feeling about it. It's not on "the list", after all...but the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB is soooooo expensive.

However, today I noticed the CF compatibility matrix from Datavideo shows Pretec 567X CF cards as compatible. I decided to try one out. I ordered a 567X 64GB card from PTI Global for $200. PTI Global appears to be the only authorized US distributor of Pretec.

When the Pretec card comes in, I'll let everyone know if they're any good, and if they solve the "green frame" issues.

Panagiotis Raris
December 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Panagiotis, thank you for quick response. Does this mean, that if I set the DN-60 correct, it will record on power up of the camcorder. In other words, can I use the Stand by switch as a "record button"?

No problem: do you mean the 'middle' toggle selection on the DN-60?

I'm going to jump in here. The answer is "yes". If you set the DN-60 to record on start-up, you can use the stand-by switch as a record button. I just tried it with my XH-A1.

I will try it with mine and see.

I currently have a Transcend 400X 32GB card that gives me the "green frame" at the end of every clip. Other than that, the card works, but I have an uneasy feeling about it. It's not on "the list", after all...but the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB is soooooo expensive.

However, today I noticed the CF compatibility matrix from Datavideo shows Pretec 567X CF cards as compatible. I decided to try one out. I ordered a 567X 64GB card from PTI Global for $200. PTI Global appears to be the only authorized US distributor of Pretec.

When the Pretec card comes in, I'll let everyone know if they're any good, and if they solve the "green frame" issues.

I have 4 different brands of CF cards and they all give me 1 frame (first frame at the end of startup clip) of green blocky crap. Sandisk, Transcend, Kingston, and also a different class Transcend. Easiest way around it is to try to record an extra second or two before something starts; 1 frame is FAR less to lose vs hitting record and having a tape drive need to spool up and record. i dont consider the green blocky frame to be a problem; tape took more time to start recording anyways.

Ken Wozniak
December 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Easiest way around it is to try to record an extra second or two before something starts...

I agree: it's not a real problem. I don't think I've ever used an entire clip from start to finish. I always have recorded a few seconds longer than I felt necessary. Always leave room for the edits.

Last night was my first real test of the DN-60. I recorded a one hour Christmas program. No problems, and it felt great to not have to worry about changing tapes. All the clips seem to be perfect (except for those green frames). BUT...

I do need to get a faster CF reader. My internal CF reader is not high-speed USB 2.0. I got an average transfer rate of just 25 megabits/sec! My file transfer was just as slow as capturing from DV tape.

Any suggestions on a fast USB 2.0 or 1394a CF reader?

Ras Dashn
December 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I use Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards ) since July 2010. It is reasonable fast reader. 32GB Sandisk 2hr16m will transfer 18-20 minutes.

If it help!

David Stembridge
December 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Ken, I am shooting with an XHA1s, considering the DN-60.... what editing software are you using? I am on FCP, wondering if footage will need converting, or if it'll be available as shoot, especially with HDV footage.

Thanks! David

Ken Wozniak
December 5th, 2010, 01:23 PM
David,
I edit with Grass Valley Edius 5. I am able to pull the m2t files directly into Edius with no converting. I don't have any experience with FCP, so I don't know how it handles m2t files.

Ras,
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just looking at the Lexar unit yesterday. Looks like that's going on the Christmas wish list!

Ken Wozniak
December 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I use Lexar Professional UDMA Dual Slot USB 2.0 Reader ( UDMA CF/ CF/SD/SDHC Cards ) since July 2010. It is reasonable fast reader. 32GB Sandisk 2hr16m will transfer 18-20 minutes.

I'll post my solution to slow transfer times just in case someone stumbles upon this thread.

I purchased an Addonics internal SATA media card reader. Where my old internal USB reader took one hour to transfer one hour of footage, this Addonics unit transferred the same exact footage in under five minutes! I am a happy camper.

Wayne Greensill
March 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM
How do you rate the DN-60 with a Canon XHA1s?

I'm interested but it looks a little cheap to me. Also interested in the Canon's FS-CF Pro understandably more expensive but is more reliable.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Wayne

Stany Hermans
April 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Wayne,
I recommend you to test the DN-60 first because there's a possible issue with certain firmware combinations.
You may be interested in my post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/datavideo-dn-xx-series-recorders/494668-problem-dn60-xha1s.html
Stany

Wayne Greensill
April 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thank you for that. If you get information on the firmware for this problem could you let me know.

Have you tried and tested the Canon FS-CF? If so what is your views towards it.

Regards
Wayne

Stany Hermans
April 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
Wayne,

So far the tests with the FS CF Pro were very good. I didn't have time to go through all settings and possibilities (a lot more than the DN60 but maybe you don't need them all) but I hope to do this during the weekend. My biggest concern was how the link between the cam and the FS would work but I can already tell you it works very well!
You have to switch on the camera first en then the FS. The connection is established within a second. Also playback (on FS display and camera monitor) works very well. The display quality is very good, the menu system well structured and so is the manual (232 pages). All functions are well explained.
I'm still waiting for the FS camera mount because you can't mount the FS to the camera's hot shoe. There are a few alternatives to mount it to the hot shoe or a camera plate but I think the original FS mount is the most convenient. It needs to be fixed to the handle of the camera.
I'll post my findings shortly.
Regards,
Stany

Wayne Greensill
April 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi Stany,
Thanks for the info, do let me know what results you find over the weekend, if you get chance. What mount are you getting to attach to the camera?

I look forward in hearing from you soon.

Regards
Wayne

Stany Hermans
April 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Wayne,
You're welcome. I' ll do my best to post the results during the weekend. According to my dealer the camera mount is the same as the one for the FS5. According to the pictures on the Focus website they look exactly the same.
http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/downloads/FS-Cam_Mount_Cradle.JPG

Regards,
Stany

Stany Hermans
April 24th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Hi Wayne,

I did several tests and the FS CF Pro worked flawlessly! Whereas the DN-60/XH A1 had a very annoying sync problem the FS CF Pro performed very well, you only have to remember you have to switch on the camera first and then the FS. Even switching from 1080i to 1080f while the unit was on, worked fine, the FS recognized it immediately.

I tested it with and without tape and the results were the same. I couldn't have done this with the DN-60. The DN60 is a lot cheaper and, apart from the sync-problem that it has with certain XH A1-firmwares, it does what you expect it do: record and play. You pay a lot more for the FS but in my opinion and also regarding the problems that I discovered, it is definitely worth the extra expense! It's much more reliable, I feel I am not going to use tape anymore (except as backup if necessary).

Besides the numerous settings (I have't tried them all) there are a few other practical things to notice. The DN-60 firewire connection is located on the back of the device whereas on the FS it's located on top. I find the FS solution much more convenient not only when the unit is mounted on the camera but also when you have to place it your desktop. With the DN-60 you can choose between rechargeable or alkaline/lithium batteries (lasts about 2 hours). The FS has its own built in battery (3 hours). If you have to change batteries on the DN-60 then you have to unmount the unit. One time when I wanted to open the battery compartment I almost couldn't get it open (thickness of the batteries?). I don't have the cradle for the FS yet but I expect it to be easier.
If I remember well on the DN-60 you have to remove the CFlash-card every time to transfer your recordings. On the FS you can leave the card in the unit and transfer it via USB2.

What I'm missing is that when you switch the camera to standby mode, the FS stays on. You can however lower the LCD and button brightness to save power. There's also an option to enable/disable the LCD backlight. The DN-60 has an option to automatically shutdown and restart with the camera but due to the sync problem it didn't work well for me.

I'm trying to setup wireless (ad-hoc) but so far it's not working. Although the USB-adapter (Linksys WUSB54GC) is known to be working with the FS, it doesn't work for me. I have my doubts about this adapter. I think I'll buy the Focus adapter instead.

I hope this helps to make your decision.
If you need more information then just let me know.

Kind regards,
Stany

Anthony Lelli
June 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM
is it just my unit with the first battery extremely difficult to fit? The + connector is a millimeter too close (or the spring is too long). The first + connector is different than the others because there is the red wire soldered. Anyway I can't imagine changing batteries under pressure (I mean the other three are fine, it's the first one that needs a considerable amount of force to fit properly) ... Other than that the DN_60 is almost perfect on a sony fx1