View Full Version : DVC Shark Tank

Dale Guthormsen
June 20th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Good afternoon,

Well, with so many signing up and so many of us failing to come through with the goods I thought this thread might be interesting.

On the business side I do events and weddings. Of course this time of year is usually rather busy. During the course of this dvc I had five jobs to shoot and complete.

So, coming up with something along those lines in a 5 minute video was perhaps out of my creative abilities as I really just document. sSo, I thought I would would do a short "How to video" Now how hard is that????

Bottom line I guess I was just to lazy after doing all the other stuff to motivate myself to do it!! I had some great ideas but I just did not get it done. No excuse.

Shame on me!!

This is the second dvc I have signed up for and failed to follow through upon!! what is kind of weird is that if I usually decide to do something I always get it done.

Next time I sign up I will complete,, If not you write me and tell me to send you my video gear!!!

Dale

Shaun Roemich
June 20th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I feel your pain and shame, Dale. I'm 0 for 2 myself. Had the script written, shot-listed and ready to go. Then I decided to actively pursue a job listing (and by "actively" I mean back doors, side doors, windows, fire escapes, tunneling...).

Pro: I got the job (part time/casual so I can still freelance)
Con: I missed another DVChallenge

I won't put my gear up but my pride is certainly taking a kicking right now...

Lorinda Norton
June 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Just to keep the record straight, in the DV Challenge it is affectionately called The Wall of Shame. ;)

Robert Martens
June 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Did I hear someone say "excuses"? I've got a million of 'em!

First week of the contest, I couldn't focus with my anticipation of the Lost finale; I wish in hindsight I could say it was worth it.

After that I had to focus on preparing for a civil service test that ended up being far less stressful than I'd thought it'd be. Won't even find out if I'm eligible for another few months, by the sound of it.

Then my family had to get ready for a garage sale that only ended today. Major clean up operation, furniture getting moved, it was non stop. My beat up old computer desk sold, though, so now I get to use this giant oak monster that's got enough room for my TV, computer monitor and audio control surface. I've got more space than ever to fill up with all sorts of crap that shouldn't be here.

All the while I couldn't make a decision, as usual, about exactly which variation of my idea I wanted to use, whether to play it as a comedy or a science-fictiony kind of thing, and whether I should even bother once the trailer for "Inception" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/) started popping up everywhere. Not the same idea, exactly, but close enough to deflate my enthusiasm (this has happened several times now, with Avatar and the TV show Warehouse 13, among others).

I really would have liked to do a music video, if only I could have found a song early enough that I could do justice.

For what it's worth, though, someone whose native language isn't English asked for help understanding my DV upscaling tutorial (http://www.gyroshot.com/upscale1.htm), so I threw together a quick video recording that didn't rely on typed instructions: YouTube - SimpleSlugUpscale - Simple video tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb76o0HW8pM) It's not much, and wouldn't have qualified for the competition, but it's an instructional video, so I don't feel like quite as much of a failure as I usually do when I flake out of these contests.