View Full Version : Help! In the field with broken firewire port!

Herojig Gaton
June 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi, I am pretty sure my XL1s firewire port is broken, as it's really loose in the socket and the mac no longer sees it. The indicator in VCR mode shows DV IN, but when I go to record mode the DV IF indicator flashes. Not sure if this is normal...I can see when I plug in the cable in VCR mode, the DV IN lights up, but I can't get a connection. Tried cables... but like I said the DV in socket is really loose in the casing of the cam. Other indicator: plugging into a firewire drive connected to the macbookpro shows that the drive won't work until the pwr is turned off on the cam. another indicator that something is really wrong with the connection in the camera.

So, what are my options do u think. I am in nepal on location and need to get the firewire port working for direct to laptop recording. If there is a repair manual somewhere with a tear down, there are people here good with a solder gun, but no one knows how to tear the camera apart.

I am so bummed! Well, thx in advance for any help (or condolences).
Jigs

Chris Soucy
July 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM
You don't say where in Nepal you are, but your closest repair facility is here:

Sales And Service Contacts - Canon in South & Southeast Asia (http://www.canon-asia.com/section/sales_service_contact/?cat=0&region=41)

If you can get the camera to Kathmandu, you may just be in luck.

CS