View Full Version : In/Out Points Changing on Their Own?

Devin Vaughn
July 5th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I am having an issue with changes being made to clips in the timeline without any conscious actions on my part.

Here's a little backstory: I am working as an assistant editor on a project inherited from previous editors. These previous editors did not label any of the video or audio clips on the HD and did not bother to make synced master clips in FCP. The only synced clips provided by them are in the timeline of their sequence.

When the current editor and I first began cutting, we would copy segments from the previous editors' sequence and work from there.

Unfortunately, we noticed that the in-and-out points on some of the clips we used would somehow change after placing them into our sequence and moving on. For example, one clip, whose in point comes right after the slate, might change so that its in point is right on the slate.

At this point, I have gone back to all the source files on the HD and made synced master clips in FCP, and we have not had this problem since; however, some of our earlier sequences still suffer from this problem.

Did this happen because the clips were sourced from someone else's sequences and changes somehow made to those sequences might alter the clips in our sequence? Anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun Roemich
July 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM
If the sequences are nested, changes to the referenced sequence WILL change the in and out points in the new sequence UNLIKE if changing in and out points in clips and using multiple iterations in different sequences.

Devin Vaughn
July 5th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks a lot.