View Full Version : Codec issue, need help.

Abe Nixon
July 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed like the best place. I've posted issues before and got some really helpful answers so I'm hoping some one might know about a solution for this issue. Yhis is a somewhat deep issue, but I'll try to explain the issue the best I can.

I reccently reformatted my main drive but on my slave I kept a bunch of videos and raw footage from my DV editing.

Now after the clean windows install I have an issue with windows media player causing my videos to be flooded with a white grain. It looks as if the video's brightness or contrast is cranked all the way up. It's hard to make distinctions in the video. Wel,l I messed around and if I turn off video acceleration in WMP (from full to none on slider bar) the issue is resolved, but with out Video acceleration the video plays a little choppy and a little pixelated. I could probably live with this but now larger video files tend to crash WMP.

I downloaded other players and the problem occurs in other players, BS Player, Divx, and in Quicktime the problem doesn't occur but occasionally QT locks up and the video screen becomes a solid green color.

I've updated WMP to the most recent release and installed a bunch of codecs but nothing is fixing it, so I unstalled them and reinstalled them. This uninstall/reinstall also includes updates to WMP. I've installed my video card's most recent drivers too.

Any help would be appriciated.

Greg Boston
July 23rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
Abe,

I had a similar problem with my pc but it was just the opposite. Everything was darker. Same thing, turn off acceleration, and the brightness levels returned to normal but the video was choppy.

Sadly, I was never able to find a fix even using support from Microsoft which was a joke in itself. They just wanted to blame the video card since turning off acceleration seemed to help. I explained that the problem had persisted through a complete upgrade of Windows from ME to XP and two video cards.

In Windows Movie Maker, clips played from the clip pane would play fine, but once dragged to the timeline and played from the timeline, they were dark.

My problem was like a gamma curve that was shifted lower. Yours seems to have shifted higher.

If you do find a fix for this Abe, please share it with us. I would bet it's similar to my pc's problem with similar origins.

regards,

=gb=

Dylan Tucker
July 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
Try using media player classic, I have had good luck with it.
I dont have a link, but just google media player classic, and you willfind something

Abe Nixon
July 23rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
I found one solution, but it's kind of a jerry-rig rather than a fix.

After the issue continued through multiple media players I started taking shots in the dark. Finally I found Core Media player (http://www.corecoded.com) and it allows the user to manipulate a lot of features of the video play back. One thing it allows you to do is shift gamma, contrast, and brightness. Once i clicked the box in the level adjustment screen "Enable color controls" and left the color levels in their default position the videos no longer have a gamma problem and they play smoothly. So I just associated all video files to play through core player, which has a great interface and awesome options so no problem there. However the reason I consider this still an issue is that I can't play videos that stream through websites, such as Ifilm, properly.

On another note it's surprising there isn't more about this issue, while it's the first time it has occured to me I've found threads fifty pages long on the subject on many digital media and codec sites in my search for support. All of which come up empty, mostly it's people saying "I have this issue too" and no real solutions. Seems to be a real problem you would think microsoft would look into it.

I hope this helps.

Dan Euritt
July 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM
i don't have this issue on any of my win2k, winxp, or win98 pc's.

the fact that it occurs in all other players except qt would almost make you think that it's a gamma issue with your pc monitor, or a problem with the dv footage... is it unrendered dv footage that had not been put thru an editor?