View Full Version : no firewire preview with Apple Color?

Josh Bass
July 15th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I might play around with and see if I could get familiar with Color, from FCS2. So, I keep reading that there is no firewire preview/output to external monitor with this program. Is that right? Then why are there ten different options for firewire output in the user prefers/video out section? Is that through a card or something?

I'm simply using an '08 Imac, going out the fw400 to a canon camcorder, which is plugged via RCA into a Sony production monitor. This setup works with FCP, but if it doesn't work with Color, then color is useless to me right now.

I'm still in SD Land, by the way. . .no HD for this guy. Will it not even work in SD?

If it does work, how come the video out is "disabled" with no other options selectable? FCP prefs set to preview via firewire NTSC. Thanks.

Arnie Schlissel
July 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
The only FW out is with an AJA Io HD, and that only supports SD out. This is actually in the Color manual, BTW.

Josh Bass
July 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Ah crap. I did google it, but did not check the manual. I found a few responses saying they COULD get fw out, so that's why I was confused.

Anyway, thanks.