View Full Version : HDV to Beta SP workflow

Brandon Carter
July 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am editing HDV footage. My final product is then sent to compressor and down converted to ProRes SD, then laid on an sd time line and exported to Beta SP. I feel like I'm loosing some quality somewhere. I'm wondering what some of you guys would recommend as a work flow. Thanks.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
July 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM
why not export directly from timeline to Beta SP?

David W. Jones
July 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Digitize the footage as ProRes HD, then use in a ProRes SD timeline, where you can then reframe and size the video as needed.

Arnie Schlissel
July 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM
If you have a Decklink or Kona or Matrox capture card, you should be able to downconvert directly from your FCP timeline to a Beta deck. If you don't, then you would probably be going to a post house to lay off to tape. Ask the post house what options they have for you.

Brandon Carter
July 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have a decklink card and it SUCKS. It made my video look like old VHS. I wish i would have gotten a Kona now.

David W. Jones
July 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I have used both Decklink and Kona cards, and while I prefer the AJA Kona, your video quality should be nearly identical using similar codecs.

William Hohauser
July 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I am editing HDV footage. My final product is then sent to compressor and down converted to ProRes SD, then laid on an sd time line and exported to Beta SP. I feel like I'm loosing some quality somewhere. I'm wondering what some of you guys would recommend as a work flow. Thanks.

Where in the process do you feel the quality is taking a hit? And where are you looking at the footage? The SD footage should look excellent on an SD monitor thru the BetaSP deck. That's the place were it counts. Preferably you are connected by analog component Y/rY/bY, S-Video at the least. If it doesn't look good on a standard def monitor then there's a problem in the process.