View Full Version : ProAim/Cine City = Junk!

Jeff DePonte
August 8th, 2010, 12:53 AM
After not even one year of occaisional use, my "ProAim" follow focus unit bit the dust. Of course, it was brutally obvious when I received it that it was an extremely crude piece of junk. Most of it was steel, not aluminum or other alloy, and those steel parts were cast, not machined. I was looking to save dollars, and you know the saying— "you get what you pay for." Upon return from a trip abroad, in a well-padded Pelican case, the gears in the gearbox now do not mesh, rendering the unit useless. I emailed the folks at Cine City. They said they would send replacement parts, but that hasn't happened.

Since I needed a follow focus, I ended up buying one from the folks at Cavision. Wow! What a work of art! It feels so much better: smooth and solid. And, it cost just a bit more than the Cine City piece of c>ap!!!

So, if you are in need of a good follow focus, please consider Cavision.

All the best—

Jeff

Rob Bruijgoms
August 10th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Thanks Jeff, you just saved me from buying one of these ProAims!

Dave Allen
January 16th, 2013, 01:16 AM
I bought one of their matte boxes. They advertised it for the Sony FX1. It didn't fit unless you are ok with the stages tearing up your camera. The rails were not straight, so the blocks didn't want to slide. They heavily shot peen the rails to hide their crappy machining and abusive handling.

The swing away system was looser than a West Hollywood type on intravenous laxatives. It had more slop than a pig pen. The documentation was just about non-existent.

And when it all didn't work or fit, they said they would refund all the money plus shipping, but first to send photos...so I had to get it brought back from another country, pics sent, they said they would send half upon receipt of a shipping receipt, and balance upon its arrival. They never sent the first half, kept moaning about how they didn't have any $ in their paypal account, then when they got the unit in, they said it had taken too long, they would not be sending the balance.

They are first class liars and scammers, and their products are total junk. You've been warned.