View Full Version : PD150 along side PD100

Mark Chafe
August 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Hi.

I have a pd150 and looking for a second camera for B-Roll. Wondering if the PD100 is similar enough to not notice much of a difference in picture quality. I know they are similar but are there any concerns? This most likely will not be recording audio so only concerned with picture quality. Anything else i should be concerned about before looking more closely at this camera? I would like another PD150 or 170, but right now the need for a second is there, however for the amount of times I do 2 camera shoots i cant justify a higher price yet.

The only concern i have is that most of the time I will not be recording, but actually feeding output to a switcher. Wondering if this camera has a standby- shutoff, or does it stay on with no tape in it.

Thanks
Mark

R Geoff Baker
August 11th, 2010, 06:23 AM
A sharp eye will spot the smaller chip size every time in my opinion. Differences will usually be masked by framing choices, exposure variables et cetera -- but no matter how you shoot it, the chips in the PD100 are half the area of those in the PD150.

Should be able to find a super clean PD150 for quite a good price -- I'm struggling with whether to sell mine, there must be many in my boat.

Cheers,
GB

Don Bloom
August 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Geoff hit the nail on the head however I have known some peeps that used to use that very combination and by keeping the 100 on a wider shot and of course trying to keep white balance as close a possible you might just come out pretty close. You'd still have to do some CC in post I'm sure. Of course the better option is of course to pick up another 150 or 170.