View Full Version : camera ramdomly corrupt frames

Jordan Hamelin
August 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM
Hi guys, I have my V1U for a couple of months now and ramdomly my camera starting to bug and it is very annoying. The problem is that the camera ramdomly skip some frames. When i get my footage on premiere some frames a corrupted and it make my audio out of sync. Somtimes I can have 1 corrupted frames on a tape and somtimes 10. The problem started when I was filming at a Monster Truck event, i remember playing for the first time with the 24p, 30p and the slow motion feature on the same tape, I tought it could be the dust so I bought a head cleaner and it didnt work. Then I tought it was maybe because i was switching for JVC tapes to Sony. but now even if i only use Sony tapes the problem is still their and i cant bring back my camera because it would take 1 month to send it and I need my camera.,,,

sorry for my bad english I am french (Canada)

Thanks you,

Vito DeFilippo
August 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Salut, Jordan,

First, make sure the dropouts are actually on the tape. Hook your camera up to a tv and play the tape. Do you see the dropout on the tape at the same spot as the corrupted frame in Premiere?

If yes, try your head cleaner tape again. Be aware that many people think that switching tape brands back and forth is a bad idea. Pick one brand and stick to it. Run the head cleaner if you switch brands.

Tape dropouts are possible even if nothing is wrong. You could try a higher quality tape.

If none of this works, you could consider having the camera professionally cleaned. I would recommend CEV on rue Adam here in Montreal. I've had good experience with them. I think it would cost about $100. They can also tell you if there is a real problem.

The best would to have it fixed under warranty. CEV can do that as well. They are a official Sony repair site.

Good luck!

Jordan Hamelin
August 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hi !

Thanks for the answer. Yes my camera is still under waranty, are you sure that CEV can repair it ? I hear I could only send it to Toronto

For the last month I have been using the same sony tape (premium) and it still occur, when i read my tape on my camera i have the dropouts, ill try it on my TV

Andrew Smith
August 24th, 2010, 07:22 AM
My suspicion is with your computer not keeping up when it comes to capture (or a similar issue) so we need to hear the results of your testing re playing straight to a monitor from the camera.

Andrew

Martyn Hull
August 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
This is the advantage of having a hd tv monitor of some sort by the pc and watch as the footage is captured, this is what i have always done,just a 19" bush hd tv at present.

Vito DeFilippo
August 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the answer. Yes my camera is still under waranty, are you sure that CEV can repair it ? I hear I could only send it to Toronto

CEV is an authorized Sony repair centre. I called and asked before I brought my Z1 for repair. They were great.