View Full Version : Useful Audio Level Booster

Alan Craven
September 27th, 2010, 07:58 AM
If, like me, you take advantage of the VI's very long focal length lens for wildlife video, you will be aware that the audio levels are often way too low. The FEL 20 dB booster solves this problem neatly:

FEL MicBooster (http://www.micbooster.com/products/micbooster.html)

I have no connection with the makers other than that of very satisfied customer.

Andrew Smith
September 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Very interesting product.

BTW, what microphone were you using? Was it the stock mic that came with the camera?

Andrew

Alan Craven
September 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, I have been using it with the stock microphone (ECM-NV1). It is possible that newer V1s than mine have the more recent Sony microphone (ECM-XM1) which is more sensitive

I also have a Sennheiser K6/ME67 system, with which it also works well in quiet situations. the Sennheiser is "hotter" than the Sony, so one has to watch out for clipping.

Jordan Brindle
September 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Whats the clarity like with this mic booster in place?

Alan Craven
September 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM
It is much better than without. The FEL is very high quality. The makers are ex-BBC engineers, and it is widely used in broadcast acquisition where long cable runs are called for. It takes its power from the phantom power supply, and also passes the power to the microphone

Ian Calliou
October 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I thought that Sony had fixed the audio levels with a firmware upgrade a while back. Mind you, Sony will not release the above said firmware for end-user upgrade, but if you live near a service centre it might be something to consider.