View Full Version : Should I sell the V1?

John Cash
September 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I dont do anything with this camera anymore, was going to shoot some weddings ect, but now it mostly sits . I have gotten into flying RC helicopters and want a Canon T2i or a 3ccd HD camcorder for my AP cameraship. Not opposed to putting the V1 on the helicopter, but I would rather have an FX1 for the ccd chips instead of cmos

Any advice?

Seth Bloombaum
September 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
If you don't do anything with the cam, seems like selling it for something you would have use for is a good idea.

"Everybody knows" that cmos have all sorts of problems relative to ccd. However, those problems only turn out to be an actual issue for a very small fraction of a percent of shooters, and, even those are now getting some post-production tools to help with correction. My opinion - I'd drop cmos in a minute if it turned out to be a problem for me, but, it hasn't yet. And, yes, I do shoot some moving subjects.

I've heard that the cmos problems can be worse in aerial work - but, I'd take the same approach there.

T2i is a pretty interesting slr - I've done a fair amount with the 5d and 7d, love the look of both of them. Don't see much comparison between choosing between a T2i and a 3-ccd camcorder... if you're serious about putting a camera in an RC copter, getting away from tape seems like a good idea. Wouldn't there be a lot of vibration on that platform?

FYI, there have been a couple threads recently on aerial work over in the Open DV Discussion forum.

John Cash
September 28th, 2010, 11:46 AM
"Wouldn't there be a lot of vibration on that platform?"

Thats one of the issues in R/C platfoms, but you MUST get rid of vibrations through balancing everything. Im solid on the Heli end, and will soon give my HDR-HC9 a try, but if I stay with a videocamera platform I may want to expeiment with a ccd camera.

But everyone in the AP world are going to the 7D or 5D, and I cant affordd those so the T2i is the logical choice.

Time to take some pics and list the V1 in the classifieds

John Owen
September 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hey,

I own a V1 and I bought a t2i a few months ago. Since getting the T2i, I've hardly had occasion to use the v1 - did a couple of corporate style things and a gig with it (mostly because it looks the part more than the t2i, and is easier to run n gun).

I'm mostly about narrative drama, and for my needs, the t2i outperforms the v1 in every respect (audio is on a par since I always use a sound-op anyway). I'm gonna sell my v1 and use the cash to invest in new glass and a decent support rig for my t2i.

My advice, unless you're doing nothing but TV and corporates, get rid of the v1. If the need arises later, pick up a used z1, they're falling in price rapidly now as more z5/z7 come available in the second hand market.

Bear in mind that the necessary extras for the T2i cost almost as much again as the camera.

Dave Sperling
September 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I wasn't using my V1 much, so recently sold it. Reason for not using it was that I had upgraded to an EX1 - and very few of my clients still wanted HDV tape. Of course I did get a few calls for it once it was gone... I seem to be shooting with the EX at least 8 days a month, and it has a great look. I even bought a NanoFlash to make it better for Blue and Green Screen shoots. I'm happy with my decision.
Given enough light, the V1 has always had a wonderful look, plus the extended length zoom that I miss with the EX1. Yes, I also have a T2i, but I'd never compare the ease of use (or general functionality when on shoots with clients) of the T2i with either the V1 or the EX. Plug a monitor into the T2i (or really any of the DSLR's) and leave it on for a few hours - the way you need to with any client situation. Then count the overheat warnings you get with the DSLR.
My advice - if you're not using something, sell it and get something you will use. But don't think your user experience with a DSLR is going to be either smooth or easy.

John Owen
September 30th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Quite right, Dave. Several good points made. When conditions are right, I'd put the HDV image from the V1 up against any other camcorder in its class (and several way above its class too).

DSLR's are never 'smooth or easy' - but, I'd say this; relish the challenge. I love all the difficulties that DSLR's present, because you know that by solving them your working towards images that no (and I mean NO) camcorders beneath RED can achieve.

Film making is problem solving, and so filmmakers generally have an appetite for new problems. And DSLRs are full of problems.

Dave is quite right that when you're working with a client on site, you need the kind of reliability and functionality (and frankly the look) that camcorders provide, but when your working to a brief or for the love of it, DSLRs rule!

Remember no autofocus though, not sure how that reconciles with your flight plans!

Just my thoughts. x

Ron Little
October 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I recently sold one of my V1s and replaced it with a Canon 7d. I also added a Nanoflash to my other V1 to bring the quality of the recording up to broadcast standards. Not that it was not before, I shot hundreds of commercials with the V1, thirty two of them for NBC / Hilton travel videos with no issues about the quality of the video.

The V1&Nano with a 7D for b roll really gives me the best of both large sensor and small three sensor video. The V1 with the nano shoots great in focus progressive video and has a 20x zoom lense. In contrast the 7D shoots great low light and shallow depth of field shots.

I will be keeping the V1 for a while the Nano has extended its life. And I must add that in the time I have been shooting with the V1 I have never had a client complain about the quality of the video.